Bearded Hen this morning

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by hailcall, May 12, 2007.

1. TheWaterfowler

TheWaterfowler Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Dr. James Kennamer of the N*** says that research shows that up to 29% of hens grow beards.

2. Here it seems to run 25%. Had a bearded hen walk by us bowhunting this year with a beard that was every bit of 9 inches. We can shoot 4 hens in the fall if we want to and many folks do. Our turkey population is still climbing. Retro is just being a holier than thou jerk.

Nice bird. :tu

3. goosehunter2118

goosehunter2118 Elite Refuge Member

Agreed. Great turkey. As far as both of them shooting it, so what. It was probably stone dead. Don't was always say we want the stuff we kill to be stone dead? I don't like chasing cripples around.

4. muskrat25

muskrat25 Elite Refuge Member

I agree, too. But as for both shooting, I'd make sure that both of you had at least one tag left, right? Otherwise, I think someone that's limited out for the season would have a problem explaining to the warden why they were carrying a loaded gun.:eek:

5. LittandJake

LittandJake Elite Refuge Member

that is a very cool story Waterfowler. I would like to see a tagged bird. Back in the day the Mo. dept of conservation and the N.W.T.F. released birds on my now father-in-laws ground. they tagged the birds they released and my wifes cousin (a good hunting buddy of mine) said a couple of the first birds they killed off the farm were tagged. I don't know if its true or not but that is what he claims.

6. hailcall

hailcall Elite Refuge Member

We are allowed 3 turkeys in the Spring in Ne. I filled my archery tag and was in possesion of 2 shotgun tags and my buddy had one tag. We were just fine on the number of tags in posession. I can understand why one would question that and I just thought I would clarify. Seth

7. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

hail, when you do something legal you owe no one an explanation. keep up the good work.

old