Beaver and High River Induced LATE Drawdown Insights hahaha

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Bluedog, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Bluedog

Bluedog Elite Refuge Member

Oh Habitat Gurus let me know what you guys think. Beaver swamp that we have discussed before. We have had an usually hard time with beavers and recent rains that have kept the water on our place until now (I say this not knowing if the beavers have us back underwater again hahaha). My question is simple: I am planning on letting whatever will volunteer grow and fingers crossed hope for a good stand of sedge and BYG like in the past few years and if we get junk or nothing much we will spray and plant jap millet in a month or so. Is this the best option?? FYI no way to disc or anything other than broadcast in the swamp. Thanks for the input in advance

2. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Don't claim to be your guru Brad but I think the see what comes up, then react plan is your best option. Most wild millets and some sedges germinate best during mid season to somewhat late drawdowns (red rooted sedge, walteri millet) so you might be ok with that. Biggest concern would be your swamp's plant succession time period in that soil disturbances of some kind (flash flooding, ATV/foot traffic) are needed every few years to rejuvenate the seed bank and produce more plant volume. Hopefully you'd have good recruitment this year but if not, just fall back on your Jap millet plan.

3. Bluedog

We get plenty of flash flooding. River it is near is very volatile. Swings of 8-10 sometimes in hours and gone back down in a day or two. Thanks for heads up. Will update you guys on how it goes.

Let's just pray for no more tropical systems this year

4. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

That's basically my local experience this year. Cindy dropped a few inches and reversed all my beaver struggles for about a week.

I'm hoping rice and BYG will come up after all the water recedes.

I plan to take a day and ten gallons of 2-4 D (MIX) to work on a few spots sometime in July.

5. Bluedog

Water is almost gone and nothing but mudflats right now. Fingers crossed for a beautiful stand of BYG

6. Greekangler

Greekangler Senior Refuge Member

I bet you will be fine. Great time of year to have moisture.

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Our BY has taken off now. Concur with Greek.

8. Bluedog

We will see. All the water is off and mudflats are sitting in the sun. Went in and cut a bunch of trees from our hunting spots. We have been managing the water for probably 7-8 years now and the growth of the cypress trees in that time is unreal. Drying it out in the summer has created a completely different swamp. Interestingly the ducks no longer use the areas they used to but it is cool trying to figure them out every year. We hunted a new spot last year that is a small hole in some taller cypress trees and I have big hopes for this spot. They have to parachute down in this hole and it was fun the day we hunted it. We actually had one of my buddy's sons with us that day and he killed a mounter black duck with nobody else even shouldering a gun. Fun day

9. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I'm fighting a loosing battle... Had the water just about off on 7/4 but today all the rain has the river up and over the levy....

10. Bluedog

Quick update and pic for you guys. About 99% sure we have a really good stand of BYG coming in all of our holes even a new spot that we hunted last year for the first time. Let me know what you guys think. Interestingly, we have the hydrolea coming back in certain spots. I guess it never really goes away. Sprayed some yesterday to knock it back a little but it is not growing in any of our hunting areas. If you are inclined just keep saying prayers that we have no tropical systems this year and we should be golden.

Attached Files: