Beavers - Why won't anything eat them?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by WoodieSC, Apr 7, 2008.

1. meathunter

meathunter Senior Refuge Member

Dogs love beaver, and beaver is the primary food source for wolves in most of Canada.

2. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Hey meathunter--I haven't been in Gr Prairie in almost two year-- but man it has grown since I first went through in 74 on way to Alaska-- seems like it doubles in pop most every time I go through.

3. Kwack wacker2

Kwack wacker2 Elite Refuge Member

I can't imagine "Nothing" eats em, but I was that something that was gonna eat em I would have too be pretty hungery, they've got one heck of a set of teeth.

I love beavers they make spots for killin things that kwack:dv :dv

4. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

What Salthunter said:tu

The only caveats are the old story about mountain men eating beaver tail is pure BS, beaver tail is gristle on top of gristle.

Why do they sit on a road and not get eaten? My guess would be the toughness of the hide. I can peel a muskrat (or fox, or mink, etc...) with my fingers. You can even poke a finger through a rabbit or muskrat, so any predator can easily puncture skins and get to meat also.

Not so with a beaver. Each pelt comes off with a knife, and you cut pelt free as you skin, the pelt is almost super-glued to the meat. The hide is tough and even when you slip with a skinning or fleshing knife you are unlikely to make a hole. If I have a hard time making holes in a pelt with a sharp knife, a predator will have an even tougher time.

5. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

The same reason it took me awhile to figure out if I should post that thread title. :yes

6. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

I've skinned, fleshed, scraped, tanned and stretched several into willow hoops so I could do a drawing/painting on them and sold them for pretty high bucks....but......still only made about a buck twenty nine an hour on the deal.
    Used the Castor gland on one to catch more but probably could have used some of Cootmeurer's Grey Fox Deluxe "Drop Ded" trap scent with the same or better results.:tu
    Best thing about his scent bait was....ya didn't hafta use a trap. If'n the Fox/Yote/or whatever got close enough downwind of the bait stick it (they) would just gag to death right where they stood.:eek:

7. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

Black bear love them,, heck I think about anything will eat them.

8. duck01

duck01 Senior Refuge Member

A bobcat will eat one. Remember catching a beaver in a coil-spring and something killing and eating it. Set another trap that day and caught a cat that night.

9. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

I've eaten both beaver and muskrat. I particularly like the beaver tail. You boil it for a few minutes to get the skin off and then carve the white gristly meat off and slice into thin strips which you then render down and crisp up like pork rinds or bacon. Salt them good and eat with beer.

The thing that puts people off it the smell of fermented wood that permeates the room as it cooks.

Muskrat tastes similar but without the wood smell.

10. A5 Junkie

A5 Junkie Senior Refuge Member

Good God man, that is roughing it. I can feel the chunks starting to rise :(