Beavers - Why won't anything eat them?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by WoodieSC, Apr 7, 2008.

1. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

LOL... you're a tougher man than I. I've never heard or read of anyone eating beaver tail. Even in a book about the Lewis & Clark expedition in the 1800's the Indian guide talked about how the tail wasn't good for anything but to boil and throw away. Of course, they didn't have beer with them. :D

2. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

Beaver tail, buffalo hump, moose nose, big horn sheep meat, and ling cod liver are considered the 5 "great delicacies" of the north country -- presumably because they are all very high in fat and gelatin content. They would have been very calorie rich foods that would have allowed the natives and settlers to survive in the era before central heating.

I've tried all but the ling liver. Bighorn was best, followed by buffalo hump, beaver tail, with moose nose coming last (its like eating congealed snot with crunchy bits in it -- doesn't actually TASTE bad but the texture takes some getting used to).

3. WoodieSC

I tend to be relatively daring on various foods, but unless I get myself pretty primed first I don't think I'll be grilling up any beaver or muskrat in the near future. Moose nose would have to be around an awfully cold campfire while attempting to keep from freezing to death, and beaver tail fits in the same baliwick. :yes

Come on down, though, for as soon as my new .22 mag pistol shows up I'm goin' huntin' for beavers and muskrat. :tu

4. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

I'll bring the ling liver.:tu

5. WoodieSC

OK, the new beaver gun came in today - Taurus 941SS .22 Magnum - now all I need to do is figure out what the best load is. There's almost as many variations of loads as there are for .22LR.

I picked up a 30 gr. V-Max Hornady load, a 50 gr. Federal Power-Shok(?), and a CCI Maxi-HP, or some such combinations. Need to do some target shooting to see what shoots most accurately, but would also like some ideas on the best load to humanely dispatch beavers. I found the .22LR to be insufficient to do that job, even with head shots.

:tu

6. rascal

rascal Elite Refuge Member

Can't help on which bullet to use woodie, they're trap only here so we can't shoot them. So far as eating them beaver are quite good. Cut those back legs off throw in a crock pot and cook untill tender. Makes for a mighty fine sunday dinner. Shred the leftovers and add your favorite BBQ sauce for some of the best sandwich meat you ever had.

7. WoodieSC

Where are all the musk glands located on a beaver? Aren't they on the back legs, or are they up on the belly? I haven't researched it as I hadn't planned on grillin' and chillin' any, but you guys are making me wonder about it. I hate to waste them if they're actually worth eating.

Just don't be pulling my leg or I'll be shipping each of you who recommend I eat these beavers and muskrats a special shipment of grilled pieces and parts. :dv

8. rascal

rascal Elite Refuge Member

Castor and oil sacks are inside the beavers lower abdomen, 2 1/2-3" above the vent. Cut your meat off first then take out the glands so you don't get any on the eatin part. You'll need to cut into the abdomen to get to the glands like the opening cut for gutting a deer. Castor sack looks like brains and are worth $2 an ounce dried,the oil sacks look like testicals and it has some value but not much.

If you get more then you want or chicken out on eating them, chunk up the meat and glands and I'll pay the shipping. Don't worry, aint going to eat something that's been in the mail for days but will use it for coyote , bobcat ,mink and coon bait.

Here's a step by step for removing the glands.
    http://www.trapperman.com/trapperman/beaver_castor_removal.html

9. steelheader

steelheader Elite Refuge Member

Oh my god I am about to cry. Damn that made me laugh.:l :clap :l :l

10. Rjm6254

Rjm6254 Elite Refuge Member

Eat more beaver :eek:
    Theirs your sign