Beavertail Blind?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Matty, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Matty

Matty Refuge Member

I am also looking for a blind as some of the other gentlemen on this site. Can I get some feedback from blind owners so I can make an informed decision. The beavertail seems nice. 1 hr set-up, no drilling, take off after the season, can hunt from either side I beleive. How about the shooting holes? And can I run down a cripple with the blind up?

2. mital

mital New Member

I use the 1800 series on my boat. Very easy to operate get the dog door put in it from beavertail. You really do not have to run with the blind up, once set up it takes 5 sec to put down and go after cripps.

3. MLDUCK

MLDUCK Senior Refuge Member

I like my beavertail alot and is a breeze to put up or down. I wish it had more vegetation pockets for grassing. The blind has with stood alot of punishment that I have incurred. Overall I would rate it a B.

4. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Just for kicks and safety I did put 4 self tappers in frame to hold it when on road--i liked it but added 12 ex veg pockets and had 2 dog doors--Then I went to a MB HS--bye bye Beavertail-- very difficult to make it work--went back to homeade out of fast grass--PVC, and 1" EMT. used crab pot netting and it works just fine.

5. Matty

Matty Refuge Member

Can you hunt from either side?

6. Matty

Matty Refuge Member

So do you recommend the beavertail?

7. Matty

Matty Refuge Member

How do you like the shooting holes? ease of opening/concealment?

8. Joey P

Joey P Elite Refuge Member

I don't own one, but I've hunted out of my buddy's a bunch. Yes, you can shoot out of either side. I don't like that when you sit in it, your head is pretty much out the top, like a gopher. The shooting holes close up real nice, as they have velcro around the edges, so you can close or open them as much as you like. It travels nice, as the cover encloses it completely, it is a very dry/windproof setup, and you can make it very warm inside. As with all commercial blinds, you'll need to add some PMI coversystems, or Killer Weed or raffia or whatever to help conceal the "big floating camoflauge box" image. All in all, it's very pleasant to hunt out of.

9. LabGuy1

LabGuy1 Refuge Member

I picked up a used one this summer and so far I like it. I haven't hunted out of it yet but have done a lot of dog training out of it. Once on your boat set up is about 5 seconds. I like that you can have as many shooting holes out of top that you want. On mine you can have to 3 or you can make it so the entire top is open. I put a dog door on the front so the mutt can see out. She sits on the middle bench seat so for me it was best to not have beavertail sew in the door so I could get it placed exactly where I wanted it. Cost me about $40 bucks to have an awing maker sew it in. It seems to be very solidly made, should stand up to many many years of use and abuse. I'll have a better feel after I get a few hunts in it but I think it is going to be a winner. :tu

10. BadBowtie

BadBowtie Elite Refuge Member

I had the 1400 series. Its was nice, but i wish they offered more camo patterns. Also i noticed if mine got water in the travel cover for a long time it changed the color of the blind inside to white. Must have been some kind of buildup. I liked that blind. Like stated before, they dont work well with mud motors. I have a custom one now on a bigger boat and ill see how it like it. I called beavertail and asked if they were going to offer the blind in mossy oak duck blind, and he said if they did, it would be a year or so. the blind blocks the winds great, but you do look like a gopher sticking out of the blind.