Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Beavertail phantom or creek boat m80?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Drake91, May 12, 2018.

1. Drake91

Drake91 Refuge Member

I use to have a 14 foot jon boat just sold it... most places I hunt are long walks to get to water an long paddles to get away from the crowds... anyone ever try either one of these kayaks/ sneak boats I'm not sure which one would be best?

2. CountryRN

CountryRN Refuge Member

I have a buddy with the M80. He says it does not track well and is not going to move very fast when paddling. I have the M98 and it does pretty good. I am able to move along pretty quickly and have the option of putting a trolling motor on it if I need to. The M98 doesn't track as well as a traditional kayak would but does good for my purposes. Stability was my number one concern when purchasing the creekboat. I have had the unpleasant experience of tipping a small kayak in 20 degree weather while on the river. I promised myself it wouldn't happen again and bought the M98 because it is very stable. I have a few places that I drag or cart it 15 or 20 minutes through the woods and then paddle to the spot. The Creekboat handles this type of activity well.

Drake91 likes this.
  3. Drake91

Drake91 Refuge Member

good info... so u don' know much about the beavertail phantom?... I'm looking for something under 10 feet so it can be in the bed of my truck... only gonna have a decoy bag with 18 decoys, small blind bag gun an my dog

4. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

So are you having to drag your boat and then row a long distance? I wouldn't put a dog in a beavertail phantom. I have used one once and I wasn't overly impressed with them. I actually don't like any of the beavertail products but I know a lot of people do. I think the best thing they have going for them is the price. I had a 10 ft aquapod and I don't think I would of hunted a dog out of mine. If your dog can be in a blind or on shore then it would be fine but not a lot of room in a 10 ft boat. Do you plan on every having a motor on your boat? There are a lot of cool options out there for marsh style boats.

5. Drake91

Drake91 Refuge Member

I'm dragging it mostly some places I have to paddle... an most swamps I hunt don't allow motors even trolling motors gotta love Pennsylvania :confused:... my dog won't be in it mostly hunting from the shore just using it to get decoys an haul gear... but the few spots I have long paddles to... dog will just have to stay home... not alot of good launche sites for boats where I hunt except lakes... so you see alot of guys with dogs on the banks or paddling kayaks

6. EWUEagles

I really like aquapods. They have a wide variety. I also know that Four River boats are working on making a carbon fiber boat. It's supposed to be super light weight but very tough. You should check out Four River boats videos of them dragging boats after putting gator glide on. That might help with whatever boat you get.

7. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

EWU

Does 4Rivers have links on their site about the gator glide?

8. EWUEagles

They don't but here are the links or you can look on youtube or their facebook page.

9. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the links!

10. cjr

cjr New Member

I have a 10' aquapod and I while I love it, I would not want to drag it any distance, especially with gear in it. Once to the water's edge though, it is great. I routinely put the dog and 2 dozen decoys in and paddle up to a mile to hunt. It isnt't fast and doesn't track terribly well but it is stable and comfortable. I don't like hunting with the dog in the boat with me so I usually have her hunt out of an invisilab (dog stand/blind). So, one person w/ gear and gun, 1 dog, 1 invisilab, 24 decoys and one critical bungee cord, no problem.