Bee stings

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Timber Hole, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

My 1 1/2 year old CLF's jowls started swelling last night. Swelling continued to the back of the mouth and started on the lower jaw. Went to the drug store at 2:00 am this morning for Benedryl. Gave her 50 mg's.

Vet says likely a bee sting. I think it has also affected her entire body. Very itchy, swelling in the face and eyes, some puking and no eating except a little hot dog with the drug. Have you guys experienced this? I'm thinking she must have even tagged multiple times but I'm just guessing.

2. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

Benedryl was a good move. :tu

My bud has a French Brittany that would get herself in to trouble w/ ground bees/wasps. After getting stung a few times - she learned to stay away from them.

3. me&mylab

me&mylab Elite Refuge Member

Starting dose on Benadryl is 1-2 mg/lb, so IF your CLF is average sized (75 lbs), you can give her 75-150 mg+ (3-6 tabs) every 6-8 hours.

Doc E likes this.
  4. jrothWA

jrothWA Senior Refuge Member

My first Springer, got nailed on muzzle, it just swelled and following morning was almost normal.

Did not have any signs of distress.

5. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Could definitely of been stung multiple times, or the dog could be moderately allergic to the toxin. Good move on the Benadryl. Stuff can work wonders on some allergic reactions. My buddy had a golden that got nailed by a timber rattler, cost him a fortune in Cro-fab. Dog got nailed again about 8 weeks later, he couldn't afford another round of antivenom, vet put the dog on high dose benadryl and he came through it just fine.