Beef fat in summer sausage??

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by fasttalker27, Jan 1, 2014.

1. fasttalker27

fasttalker27 Senior Refuge Member

I have a lot of ground venison in the freezer that was mixed with beef fat. I am wanting to make summer sausage this year and was thinking of using some of my own meat. Every recipe that I have seen says to add pork fat.
    How will it turn out if I just use what I have and not add any pork fat since it already has beef fat?

2. Jimbob

Jimbob Elite Refuge Member

I've done it with beef fat a bunch, and always get a good product. Think of beef stick. Be sure you have enough fat, though. Most processors don't use enough and it will give you a dry product. I like to have 30-40%.

3. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Adding beef to venison will make a much firmer summer sausage.Adding pork will make it much softer.I usually use pork as it is cheaper.

Since you already have the beef mixed in.....I would add a ratio of 1 pound of ground bacon to 9 lbs of your venison/beef mix.

I have always smoked my SS in my smoker in the past.It can be difficult to guess how much smoke is enough or to much.This year I have changed to using powdered smoke....1 tsp to 1 lb of meat.It has made all my sausages a lot more consistent.Plus if you don't have a smoker,you can make it in the oven.

Just make sure you don't have the temp above 175 degrees.Otherwise the fat will render out and make a dry sausage.

4. fasttalker27

fasttalker27 Senior Refuge Member

Great ideas Ken. Thank you. I don't have powered smoke but I do have liquid smoke. Is there much of a difference?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

5. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Hi Country makes powdered smoke.I bought mine at Scheels.

Liquid Smoke will work also.Recommendations are 1 tsp per 5 pounds of meat.Add it to 1 cup of water per 5 lbs of meat.

This makes sausage making easy since you don't need a smoker.