Been a long time...

Discussion in 'New England Flyway Forum' started by Blackducks, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Blackducks

Blackducks Elite Refuge Member

...since I posted here at the Fuge in the NE forum (other than classifieds) and even longer since I duck hunted. Stopped hunting after my Dad passed in 2014. Kind of lost interest with him gone plus health issues also contributed. Feeling a little better these days and decided to do a little hunting again while I still can.

Got out today to hunt the flood tide with Sadie. Oh my is she rusty. Was quite the adventure. Managed to call a nice Black into the decoys for my 1st duck since Dec 2013 and she retrieved it for me. We lost another one that she should have got but it has been so long since she did anything too I can't blame her; it is on me.

Was nice to be out there again. The salt marshes and bays are my favorite places in the world. Can't get out like I used to but man did it feel good being out there today. :tu

Hard to believe ol' Thunder has been gone 8 years this past August and that Sadie turned 8 in October. Man where does the time go?

Sadie showing off with her bird.

[​IMG]

Dogman likes this.
  2. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Glad your back at it. Lotta shooting from that Salisbury side this morning. Little quieter over in my back yard. All blacks. Not a teal or mallard to be seen.

3. duck stopper

duck stopper Elite Refuge Member

Glad to see you're back. Maybe you can rejuvenate this forum?

4. Blackducks

Thanks. Not many birds around on that side either but quite a few guys were out there who shot at whatever flew by. Mostly Blacks but saw some geese and a flock of Brant.

5. Blackducks

Thanks. Not sure how much help I will be with that.

6. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

They've been hanging out for a while now. Seems like it's the same flock milling around. I've never caught them in a "shootable" area. Always hanging out close to to roads or dwellings.

7. Blackducks

The other day they came about 20 feet from being in good range. I was like oh crap here they come but at the last second they turned off. LOL I could have shot but with the marsh flooded I didn't want a cripple gliding off. Too hard to get after it even with a dog.

Always another day or year or decade LOL Been hunting there since 85 and NEVER shot one. Almost never see one during season. Have had them 5 feet from my boat on the marsh next to me sleeping, or swimming around the decoys "burping", but season was always closed.

Only one I ever got down there was 1 Thunder retrieved for a warden guys had shot out of season. I have it mounted as he gave it to me after court case was over. Had to go to Long island NY to shoot my 1st Brant. LOL

8. Dogman

Dogman Moderator Moderator

Glad to hear you got some time in with Sadie,good for the soul.I wish I could tell you that the Bigfoots I bought off you were getting a good workout,I took a lot of vac time in the first half of Oct.It was more like summer,I swear the birds were flying north.

9. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

Nice to see some old veterans around.

Dogman likes this.