Been a while...couple of builds.

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by NCSUDucker, Aug 7, 2017.

1. NCSUDucker

NCSUDucker Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Thank you fellas! The details are what I pride myself in for sure :tu

Got the light bar installed. I've used Kawell lights off of Amazon for the last 7 or 8 builds. Really nice quality and no problems to date. This one is remote and you can change color from amber to white, plus some emergency modes I guess :l Regardless, in the past I've run amber lights on my own boat for the fog. It will be nice to have the option for the bright white as well.

Here's a shot of what it looks like at night.
    [​IMG]

There's drop cloth down on the inside of the boat while glassing but this gives you an idea of how much light the interior LEDs put out. Shouldn't have a problem finding anything in the boat, that's for sure.
    [​IMG]

And just the rear speakers :dv
    [​IMG]

Will finish up the fairing today and install the grass rails. May be able to get the liner sprayed on the decks as well.

Brad

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Rear speakers? In a duck boat? :scratch

3. NCSUDucker

It will be our fishing and hanging out boat as well. Not to mention going way early and passing time :yes

4. NCSUDucker

Once all of the wiring was done, the sides were put on and sectioned compartments/hunt deck were filled with foam.
    [​IMG]

I really like the way the transom turned out. 20" transom that is braced and tied into the rear bulkhead. You can hang a lot weight on her with no issues.
    [​IMG]

Coaming on. Some pretty 1.5" thick ash.
    [​IMG]

Kind of back in time, but here is the winch compartment and fuel tank compartment. I put a drain in the winch compartment as we know there is no truly waterproof hatch and there will probably be a limited amount of water that comes in through the winch opening. I routed the drain via 3/4" bilge hose into the cockpit.
    [​IMG]

Here's what the front looks like before I flushed the decking up. The light bar is now recessed in the opening and will have a semi permanent cover in case I every need to replace or repair. The other opening is where the fuel tank is and will also have a semi permanent cover in case the fuel tank ever needs to be accessed.
    [​IMG]

(cont)

5. NCSUDucker

Light bar cover and fuel tank cover dry fitted into place. Both will be semi permanently attached in case the need to repair or replace ever arrises. Both have been glassed since this pic and will install them this evening or tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Grass rails done. Some nice 1" thick ash doing the honors. I'll come back and fillet around the seams this evening.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This past Friday, I finished up installing the topside hatches/covers/etc and sprayed the decks with liner.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(cont)

6. NCSUDucker

Later that afternoon, I had two friends swing by to help me flip her over. Hopefully the last time I ever see her like this!
    [​IMG]

I flushed everything thing up, rounded over the hard edges and filled the screw holes as well as put a layer of 7.5 oz glass tape over the rub rail.
    [​IMG]

First layer of glass on, Kevlar up next.
    [​IMG]

Finished with glass and Kevlar. Now to feather and fair. The bottom of the hull has a layer of 5 oz Kevlar between two layers of 6 oz fiberglass. The chines the same plus one more layer of fiberglass as it overlaps from the sides. Likewise, the rub rials have two layers of 6 oz glass and one layer of 7.5 oz glass.
    [​IMG]

Last night, I machined the keels out of UHMW and attached using a specialty adhesive and #14 1" SS screws every 6 inches.
    [​IMG]

I will start applying the graphite/cabosil/epoxy coating today. It usually takes 3 coats with a lot of sanding to get a perfect super slick bottom. She'll be upright and on the trailer by Thursday!

Brad

7. NCSUDucker

Just realized I posted the wrong pic for the last one, here's the keels attached.
    [​IMG]

8. tennduckdog

tennduckdog Elite Refuge Member

Looks good! Do you do the spray in bed liner yourself? If so, what kind are you using?

9. NCSUDucker

Thank you and yes I spray it using a hopper gun from Harbor Freight. The product ous Grizzly Grip.

Brad

10. NCSUDucker

She's almost done. Once the keel strips were on, I began coating the bottom and sides with a mixture of graphite/cabosil and epoxy. After each coat, I would sand to ID the low spots until it was all filled. A tedious process but turns out a nice product that is tough and slick. This was after a couple of coats.
    [​IMG]

All of the lower hull is sanded to 220 and a final coat of thickened graphite epoxy to fill a few small low spots.
    [​IMG]

After the final sand, it was time to lay down a little paint! Lower side is painted, will be flipping back upright this evening to finish her up!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally went back and gave the bottom a coat of Mother's Gold carnauba wax, between that and the sanded graphite, I should be good to go!
    [​IMG]

Lastflight, Fowler267 and Duane Read like this.