Been a while...couple of builds.

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by NCSUDucker, Aug 7, 2017.

1. NCSUDucker

NCSUDucker Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Just a fairly low profile that is easy to grass and hide. The benefit of the sides are like you mentioned. The sides also allow for easy placement of creature comforts. Just a different style of hunting boat.

Brad

2. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Cool - they're beautiful and obviously well thought out boats. I've never seen anything quite like them. Phowler boats seem like the closest major manufacturer. Enjoyed the thread, thanks for posting.

NCSUDucker likes this.
  3. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Refuge Member

Wow!! That's a work of art right there...great job and thanks for sharing.

NCSUDucker likes this.
  4. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Senior Refuge Member

Appears to be a very-well built watercraft - and a job done with all the traits of a real craftsman!

Weight is somewhat compensated for with the winch, and all appears to be properly distributed.

There's a place down here in South Louisiana that produces/tunes after-market 44+ hp surface drive propulsion, which I think would be a must if you intend to hunt 3-heavy-weight shooters and a dog.

Good Job!

And BTW - When it comes down to good waterfowling equipment - "The best is barely good enough." So don't ask the price - just pay da man!

5. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Senior Refuge Member

As you obviously know well: "Every boat is a compromise."

And when your watercraft offers a hunter or hunters, what the late-Zack Taylor called "staying power" you have achieved the ultimate potential for waterfowling success! Taylor hunted the Chesapeake Bay and points north, not too different from your area.

In Taylor's book Successful Waterfowling (1974 ed; Crown Publishing; Ch 14; p.210) is titled: "Equipment That Lets You Stick".

He wrote: "Nowhere is the waterfowler spared. He must be a boating enthusiast, probably a boatbuilder to boot..."

So it looks to me - like you more than qualify on all fronts!

6. NCSUDucker

Thank you very much for taking the time to post, I enjoyed reading it again as I've read some of Zack's work. The speed I'm getting with no load or with my son and dog is comparable to my old boat (lower hp motor, but about 150lbs less and a 1.5' shorter) so hopefully I'll be somewhere around the same (24 mph)with a load which is usually 1 to 2 other hunters and gear. This motor has the gear reduction, sacrificing a little of the top end to ad to the load carrying capability. After the new Boss Hose 75 tiller comes out and had been on the market a while , I may give it a shot.

Thanks again,
    Brad

7. M Schadt

M Schadt New Member

Are there plans available for this boat design?
    Thank you

8. NCSUDucker

I appreciate the interest but no plans available.

Brad