googletag.cmd.push(function() {googletag.defineSlot('/22715214/refuge_ros_atf_728x90', [728, 90], 'div-gpt-ad-1434482053797-0').addService(googletag.pubads()); googletag.pubads().enableSingleRequest(); googletag.enableServices(); });

North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Been a while since I've posted, couple of builds...

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by NCSUDucker, Aug 7, 2017.

1. NCSUDucker

NCSUDucker Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Light bar cover and fuel tank cover dry fitted into place. Both will be semi permanently attached in case the need to repair or replace ever arrises. Both have been glassed since this pic and will install them this evening or tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Grass rails done. Some nice 1" thick ash doing the honors. I'll come back and fillet around the seams this evening.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This past Friday, I finished up installing the topside hatches/covers/etc and sprayed the decks with liner.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(cont)

IrvingForbes likes this.
  2. NCSUDucker

Later that afternoon, I had two friends swing by to help me flip her over. Hopefully the last time I ever see her like this!
    [​IMG]

I flushed everything thing up, rounded over the hard edges and filled the screw holes as well as put a layer of 7.5 oz glass tape over the rub rail.
    [​IMG]

First layer of glass on, Kevlar up next.
    [​IMG]

Finished with glass and Kevlar. Now to feather and fair. The bottom of the hull has a layer of 5 oz Kevlar between two layers of 6 oz fiberglass. The chines the same plus one more layer of fiberglass as it overlaps from the sides. Likewise, the rub rials have two layers of 6 oz glass and one layer of 7.5 oz glass.
    [​IMG]

Last night, I machined the keels out of UHMW and attached using a specialty adhesive and #14 1" SS screws every 6 inches.
    [​IMG]

I will start applying the graphite/cabosil/epoxy coating today. It usually takes 3 coats with a lot of sanding to get a perfect super slick bottom. She'll be upright and on the trailer by Thursday!

Brad

IrvingForbes likes this.
  3. NCSUDucker

Just realized I posted the wrong pic for the last one, here's the keels attached.
    [​IMG]

IrvingForbes likes this.
  4. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Fantastic work, Brad.

5. NCSUDucker

Thank you Woodie!

She's almost done. Once the keel strips were on, I began coating the bottom and sides with a mixture of graphite/cabosil and epoxy. After each coat, I would sand to ID the low spots until it was all filled. A tedious process but turns out a nice product that is tough and slick. This was after a couple of coats.
    [​IMG]

All of the lower hull is sanded to 220 and a final coat of thickened graphite epoxy to fill a few small low spots.
    [​IMG]

After the final sand, it was time to lay down a little paint! Lower side is painted, will be flipping back upright this evening to finish her up!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally went back and gave the bottom a coat of Mother's Gold carnauba wax, between that and the sanded graphite, I should be good to go!
    [​IMG]

IrvingForbes likes this.
  6. IrvingForbes

IrvingForbes Senior Refuge Member

Brad, are your keel strips delrin, or pvc?

7. NCSUDucker

They're actually uhmw.

Brad

8. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

Man that is going to be one nice rig! How'd you keep the grass from growing right where the winch hook anchors? Roundup?:)

9. NCSUDucker

Thank you sir! Nah we can't spray round up here anymore, had to go with an eco friendly alternative :dv

10. IrvingForbes

IrvingForbes Senior Refuge Member

Thanks Brad. I've never heard of uhmw so researched it. I've used delrin and pvc board. I've learned something new. Thanks!