Before and after specs

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Mean Gene, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I'll try and get it off the top of my head:

1) The flocking is goose gray and I used leather brown as the "glue"...two coats.
    2) I painted the sides, chest, neck and head with the light tan color Rustoleum camoflauge paint.
    3) Then I painted the butt and tail white. 2 coats
    4) Then I mixed flat brown (2 table spoons) and gloss black (1/2 table spoon) and painted the back and wings.
    5) Then I did the feather detail with white.
    6) Then I misted the front of the neck and the cheeks with white.
    7) Then I painted "stripes" on the chest and sides with white using a kind of semi-circle motion making sure to leave other "stripes" of the tan color showing through. One caot of white, not too thick, and it comes out a kind of light creamy color.
    8) Then I went back over the feather detail with sand and gave the whole back a good misting of sand.
    9) Then I used the dark brown mixture to put "stripes" on the body, the stripes on the neck, paint the dark strip on the top of the head and back of the neck, and then lightly misted along the chest and sides, then darkened in the head/neck and feathered it all in.
    10) Then I painted the black stripes on the body, painted the wing tips and ran a highlight line through the narrow wing stripes near the butt and highlighted the large feathers on top...all with black.
    11) Then I painted the white strip on the sides and the white patch on the face with white (2 coats).
    12) Then I ran a thin line around the white face patch with black.
    13) Then I painted the eyes with gloss black.
    14) Then I painted the bill with a mixture of Ronan's Japan Superfine Paints.I think the mix was orange, red, white and van dyke brown. Not sure though. I'll get back to you on that.
    15) Then I tipped the bill with white.

I hope I didn't miss anything, but I might have. It's a lot harder to write it down than it is to actually do it.

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Nice work Gene :tu

3. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Nice work Gene. I will be repainting some Canada floaters to specs this summer so this post is very helpful.

4. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

Fantastic work as always, Gene! :tu

5. sdhunter

sdhunter Elite Refuge Member

So for the heads, you just used a dark brown Rustoleum? I'm looking to match up my older Blue Collar spec heads to the new DSD specs with some dark brown...

6. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

The heads and necks were done with Rustoleum light tan from a rattle can, the Ronan Superfine Japan Colors in Raw Umber through an airbrush. Just mist until it gets dark enough for you. :tu