Beginner deer hunting?

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Cluckaholic, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Cluckaholic

Cluckaholic Refuge Member

Hi
    Im looking for a CHEAPish bow thats good for a beginner. Im 6 foot 2 and have a pretty wide wingspan. Also, what do i need to know and need for and about deer bow hunting? Im 17 and on a budget

2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Find a small archery shop and go talk to them. be honest and tell them you're just starting out and looking for an entry level bow. This is a great time to buy one by the way. Look for trade ins. Lots of guys want a new bow every year. I shoot a Diamond Black Ice that I bought that way. Saved hundreds compared to a new one.

Get measured for your draw length and pick a comfortable weight bow. Don't think you have to prove how strong you are, get one that's fun to shoot. Lots of deer bagged with a fifty pound bow.Most are adjustable anyway.

After you know what you want, maybe check pawn shops or craigslist.

I keep it minimum. You need a bow with sights, rest, and quiver, a release, 6 arrows, a bow case, string wax. Over time you'll accumulate a whole lot more, that's why the guy at the bow shop will be so helpful! ;)

Good luck!

3. Cluckaholic

Thank you! How would i go about the actual hinting part, after some practice?

4. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

After you can put arrows in a 8" circle consistantly at 30 yds, you can kill a deer at twenty yards. Be patient and keep your shots close. Most deer are killed a lot closer than that. Practice shooting from however you plan on hunting. Shoot sitting if your going to hunt on the ground. Shoot from a tree if that's your plan.

Get permission to hunt on a place that has deer. Don't waste time sitting around and not seeing anything. That gets old fast.

Build a stand or blind, or get a climbing stand. Always wear a safety harness in an elevated blind. Locate it about fifteen yards from a well used deer trail. I like to find a spot where 2 or 3 trails criss cross or near a fence crossing. Figure out where the down wind side will be most of the time. Usually SE from the trail. Always hunt downwind or it's usually a waste of time.

Sit down and don't move or make a sound. No coughing, no swivveling your head, nothing. Keep an arrow knocked and ready. When you see or hear, wait til it's behind cover and get in position to shoot. Wait for a good broadside shot. If it doesn't happen, let that one go, there'll be more. Aim right behind the shoulder in the center of the chest.

Have some of your deer made into jalepeno and cheese sausage.

The end.

5. Cluckaholic

Okay, thank you! That helps more than most of the the videos ive watched!

6. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Refuge Member

I'll add scouting to that list.weather your hunting public land or your trying to get permission for private.its never to early to start looking for spots. Winter and early spring tells you a lot about the landscape ,and were deer are moving. Look for trees that will be a good food source come fall. A few other forums that I find helpful is archerytalk.com and bowhunting.com.

7. BAWANA

BAWANA Senior Refuge Member

Shoot shoot and go ahead and shoot some more. Learn deer bye being in the deer woods learn something every time you go out. Scout in the late winter and summer shoot again. Take a lesson from the archery shop and shoot some more. Know your target. image.jpg

8. ducksfordinner9

ducksfordinner9 New Member

I bought a jaguar crossbow for my son. it's extremely powerful and only cost about 150.