Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Bein' Green: Manitoba Hunt VIDEO Series

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by backwater1, Nov 15, 2016.

1. backwater1

backwater1 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Every year we head towards Canada during the mid season lull we experience at home. This year as we crossed the border we found mild temperatures and incredibly soggy conditions. But duck numbers were through the roof!

With just 3 guys, a dog, and a trailer full of light weight White Rock Decoy options, we free lanced our way across the Manitoba prairies looking for untouched Greenheads in hard to reach places.

We've put the finishing touches on this 3 part series from the trip that we returned home from just a couple weeks ago. I think it turned out really good and we're excited to share it with you guys!

It's our latest installment in our web series Nomad Chronicles Waterfowl TV. It ain't easy....Bein' Green.

Part 1

Part 2
    In Part 2 of the series we embark on an epic journey deep into the bowels of the Canadian bush in search of un-pressured mallards. The trek and preparation made this adventure seem more like a big game hunt than a simple pot hole duck hunt...but if you don't put forth the effort and the planing, you might never get that shot at the true TROPHY waiting on the other side.

Part 3
    After several days of watching we knew this group of mallards was feeding within a couple hundred yards of where they were hittin' their pre-feed puddle...so as we devised a plan of attack, we knew the best hunt would be to hit 'em in the transition slough. When the fields just aren't lining up, there is nothing wrong with an all out smash mouth pot hole hunt!

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Nice to see you using Canadian shotshells. SCORE shells, made in Manitoba. Cheap and decent for the price.

3. bang you'r dead

Lol, where did you guys learn to shoot.....Arkansas? Shooting them on the water is a southern thing isn't it.:dv

I hunted those muck filled fields all year. I was smart enough to find fields I could paddle into with my kayak. Made those 1 mile trips a lot easier. You may want to invest in some cheap kid's toboggans to pull your gear with.

Be a smart nomad.

Well done guys. Great videos.

4. pickadrake

pickadrake Senior Refuge Member

Nicely done !

5. WK2HNT

WK2HNT Senior Refuge Member

Great camera work guys thanks for posting. Bang, you are right about the Score shells our group shot them this year in Alberta and I thought they were a great shell for the price and they burn very clean. We shot the 3 inch bb's at ducks and geese and even though we messed up some ducks they were great on the specks and snows.

6. bang you'r dead

I can remember calling them and recommending some different loads to pursue (they were mainly loading lead shot and slugs back then) and they have now expanded fully into waterfowl. The first season, I was buying a couple of cases, but some of the wads were unsplit, and I "slugged" a half dozen birds that year. Nothing like seeing a goose literally explode at 15 yds from a 2" pattern of #2's. They have assured me they fixed that problem and changed wads . I had no problems with late season (cold) shooting with them at all. I was getting the case price of $89.00 CDN in Brandon (about $75.00 USD) so they were an incredible bargain a couple of years ago. I should have stocked up on them, but 20-20 hindsight is the clearest.

7. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

Great videos guys. Not quite as soggy in September when we were there but it was definitely wet. Cant wait to see the next set of videos. I shot a box of those shells a cousin had purchased. Worked great. If available at Cabelas in Saskatoon we will buy them next year.
    Tom B.

8. bang you'r dead

Just checked. Regular price at wholesale sports is $12.99 CDN, which puts it around $10 a box USD. Bargain in Canada, when the cheapest other shells are running right at $20.00 CDN a box.

9. AK.airboater

AK.airboater New Member

great videos.thanks for posting. bring two dogs next year with pulling harness and 3 jet sleds all in tandem to even weight out over a larger area. they can pull 2 to 3 times the load as 3 men pulling jet sleds. we run two dogs, two sleds, 9 dozen silos, two hunters back packs, our guns in the sleds and have to tell the dogs to heal because we cant walk as fast as them without spilling our coffee. no kidding try it. they slow down a little on the return if the sleds are full of geese.i can get the name and model of the harness we use if you would like to try it.

10. SBEII

SBEII Senior Refuge Member

Now that there is a downright awesome idea!