Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Bein' Green: Manitoba Hunt VIDEO Series

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by backwater1, Nov 15, 2016.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

With my kid's toboggan, I can use bungee cords to strap the bags down, and if the ground is frozen or snow covered, you can pull it with one finger. A lot easier than carrying it out to the field. I do have a strap that I can clip on to the cord to go across my shoulders if it is full of birds and heavy, but again, a lot easier than carrying your gear. I have seen guys use their dogs to pull sleds out, but my girl is a little old to do that now. When the ground is wet, I use the sled under my layout or just my body covered with a tarp to keep me dry in the field.

2. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Working dogs love to work Great to put their power to use.
    I raced sled dogs for years. A couple things to consider before just hooking a dog to a sled and expecting them to pull.
    Correct harness. You'll want a properly fitted freight harness with a spreader bar. It will distributed the force/weight on the shoulder's and not pull down on the hips.
    Conditioning. It is a different muscle set to pull so conditioning is important to avoid an injury.
    Training. Get the dog use to pulling a very light load. Not all dogs will want something following them.
    Don't overload. I always went with a rule of 40-50 lbs of weight per dog pulling. Of course this depends on age, size, condition of dog and what conditions are they pulling on. six inches of mud and a loaded sled will have more drag than a sled on frozen ground.
    A good source for harness is Kondos Outdoors

http://kondosoutdoors.com/

3. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

The younger, thinner guy is carrying most of the goods. :dv

4. AK.airboater

AK.airboater New Member

i dont understand were spreader bar would go ? we have freight or load pulling harness that does what your describing. also proper size to dog. i think that mean lean young man in the video is more of a cure husky/hound mix sprint dog, not a pure bred freighter dog but hes doing it good !!!!! :tu

5. AK.airboater

AK.airboater New Member

http://howlingdogalaska.com/ the lady that owns this place has you take measurements of dog and sets you up. we use the wheel dog harness. a lot more of a selection than above site mentioned.

6. musher

You'll see in this picture the bar across the back, behind the rear legs. It keeps the pressure off of the hips.

frieght harness.png

Here is another source of information

http://www.sleddogcentral.com/

7. musher

The wheel dog is the dog(s) immediately in front of the sled. The wheel dog harness they make is longer because the wheel dog takes the bulk of any movement in the sled. Basically they get the bumps and jerks of the sled and they are not pulling directly down the gang line and more from an angle than the rest of the dogs on the team. The offset snap point helps reduce that.
    Better choice than a racing x back for sure. Try a freighter, I think you'll see a difference in what your dog can pull.

8. AK.airboater

AK.airboater New Member

thanks i see it now. i may try that. i dont know why more guys dont do this. our dogs line up in the morning ready for harness to be put on them. it works some energy off in the morning and i think its good for them. are girls are small 60 lbs, as we fly out in super cubs etc.. to some of our hunting locations. its amazing the weight they can pull. im glad im not puling that sled across those tidal flats!!!!