Benelli SBE 3 shoots high/ Benelli reply

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Flyfisher, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Did you read the post? I didn't make that shot...

2. Flyfisher

...and I don't use a six o clock hold

3. fishdog

fishdog Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I take the bead off my guns. Maybe that's why I'm a lousy shot.

4. Flyfisher

see post 8

5. Dbag

Dbag Senior Refuge Member

I have found that often times when shooting a recoil driven gun that the the first gun move is to shoulder and then lower the cheek to the gun. In my experience this drives the front of the gun upwards and the gun shoot high. I believe that this can be corrected by mounting to the bottom of the cheek and then move forward into the gun with your shoulder contact. For stationary paper work fire 3 shots in a row fast because the first is usually aiming. Above all do not let your eyes go to the rib or bead as mentioned above. Just my 2 cents, good luck and good shooting.

6. Duckhtr

Duckhtr New Member

Sorry to hear if anyone has a problem with any gun, especially when shelling out high dollars. I have an SBE 3 and out of the box shot a bit high when patterning, like a euro gun is supposed to. Changed the drop with the “C” shim and no it shoots dead on and flat! I have an SBE 2 that I had to shim to have it shoot flat as well. The only Benelli that shoots straight out of the box for me is my original H&K SBE 1. Out of all of these guns, the only one has a flat rib (not stepped like 2 & 3) is the SBE 1. I think the stepped rib may have been my problem and reason I needed to drop the stock with the shims to shoot properly. Hope this helps. The SBE 3 is a heck of a gun and once I dropped the stock...it’s deadly and dead on.

7pntail and BSINK like this.
  7. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I actually like the Hi Vis beads. A common problem for my misses is me lifting my head to "admire my work" just before or as I pull the trigger. I have found that a "Hi-Vis bead helps me keep my head down and I like the bright color in low light.
    When i shot a lot of Pheasants back in the good old days I liked a 60/40 pattern as those birds tend to be rising and going away.

8. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

When I bought my SBEII, I also purchased one of those Hi-Vis sights. I seemed to shoot pretty good with it. I was at some type of fundraiser out at Birds Landing and the mobile gun smith guy was out their with his trailer fitting shotguns for free. I decided to go see what he had to say about the way the SBEII fit me. After a few tests, he looked at me and said the gun fits fine, but you do have a problem...then he ripped the Hi-Vis off the barrel and said I didn't need it and shouldn't be looking at it. Haven't really missed it.

9. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Was that Lance Keller?
    That dude told me that my SBE was set up to shoot 5' yes that is "FIVE FEET" low at 30 yards, this was just minutes after I broke 80+ on sporting clays. Needless to say I wouldn't let him touch my gun for nothing.
    If I remember correctly I ordered an E or F shim for my gun to get it shooting a 60/40 pattern.

10. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I don't remember his name. Its been 10 years now.