Benelli SBE 3

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Jesg1224, Apr 4, 2017.

1. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I've got the SBE 1 and 2, I'm old and I can do fine with either one of them. I'm going to pass.

2. Jesg1224

Jesg1224 Refuge Member

Hi Everyone. I did a follow-up video on the SBE 3 after 1,000 rounds. I wanted to show the variety of loads that I've cycled through this gun so far and the amount of build-up after 1,000 rounds. I've been very happy with it so far.

3. Jesg1224

Jesg1224 Refuge Member

Hey guys. I did a quick video update on the gun after 1,000 rounds of various shells. I'm still very happy with the gun so far. I might go to the next shim and see how it does.

Red dog retriever likes this.
  4. Jesg1224

Jesg1224 Refuge Member

Hey Everyone,

After many sessions at the patterning board I finally determined I needed to do something about the too high and left pattern that I was getting and now it's fixed!!! Shooting exactly how I want it to, check out the video for details and pre/post patterns:

wescott2 likes this.
  5. Joehump7

Joehump7 New Member

I bought an SBE3 in August and I like it very much. I have experienced the high left shooting also. ALWAYS pattern your gun. I missed a lot of squirrels because of it. I will try your fix.

6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

There is a guy on SGW that has "fixed" his SBE II & SBE III "shooting high" issues by squaring the magazine tube with the receiver lower. According to him the magazine tube's misalignment was causing the barrel to fit up eccentric to the receiver lower and making it shoot off POA to POI. He fitted the magazine tube in a mandrel and "bent" it to alignment to the receiver lower. FWIW.

7. Jesg1224

Jesg1224 Refuge Member

I played with the shims and also an aftermarket recoil pad to extend the LOP, etc but just couldn't quite get it to the POI that I wanted. I don't know about "bending" anything on the gun. Benelli was happy to take the gun (free shipping BTW) and fix it for me. I don't recommend trying to bend anything yourself. I talked to a gun shop who suggested making a custom eccentric choke for me also, but that didn't sound like a good idea either.

8. Smirk

Smirk Senior Refuge Member

I agree with JP about the mis alignment of the magazine tube. Years ago I had a Benelli SBE 1....original flat rib.
    It shot very low and left even with the A shim. I sent to Benelli ...got it back and it shot dead on 50/50. I called and asked what they did ....told me they bent/shimmed magazine tube. This was back in the day when Benelli actually would help the customer.
    This would be my suggestion. Peep sight the barrel to determine if it's a barrel problem. If the barrel is OK then I would try to ever so slightly bend the magazine tube. You'll need an arbor press and a GOOD gunsmith.

JP likes this.
  9. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

Hmm. I think customer service starts with a solid product. Bending something, re aligning or finding a Smith right out of the box is something I’d have a problem with. But the gentleman is happy, so I’m happy for him.

Hitting 92 is solid. And with a full choke. But the work on the pattern board needs to be intensive. Be mindful of measuring it be the sporting scores you shoot. Types of shots, how when as well as your own skill will matter. Heck, that day with your other beretta you may have racked a 96. Good luck.

Jesg1224 likes this.
  10. Jesg1224

Jesg1224 Refuge Member

Very well said Sir!
    I agree. I would rather not have had the problem to begin with but the Benelli guys were super nice and willing to make things right as quickly as they possibly could and I appreciated that.

Very good point about measuring success in clay scores! I learned a very good lesson: It only takes a few pellets to break a clay.... that same count on a duck, dove, quail, etc (which is the absolute soul of this gun) does NOT make for a good shot... and knowing the pattern was off a bit really messed with my head. I have regained confidence in the gun now and looking forward to this upcoming season! No excuses. :)