Benelli SBE3 Pattern Test

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by tobintc, Oct 18, 2017.

1. tobintc

tobintc New Member

I Completed a series of pattern tests with the new SBE3 MO today. Love the gun, feels and shoots smooth - I believe we will get along for many years to come - I think she was worth the wait!

Before I ordered a case of shells, I wanted to do a paper test - as I like these kind of things.

I tried every different type of shot I had. I happen to have a lot of different #2s and BB loads, as my other gun, a Remington 870 Magnum Waterfowl gun really liked #2s and BBs with a modified Factory choke.

I tried a pattern test by firing three shots at paper at 40 yds. with each of the following Choke tubes:

Benelli IC extended
    Benelli extended Modified
    Benelli IC
    Benelli M
    Patternmaster Code Black (Goose) Crio Choke tube

Shot sizes fired:

Federal 3" #2
    Hevi Steel 3" #2
    Hevi Metal 3" #2
    Kent Fasteel 3" #2
    Kent Fasteel 3.5" #2
    Federal 3" BB
    Federal 3.5" BB

Results:

Very good consistent patterns at 40 yds with all #2 shot (At least as good as my 870 with factory Modified that has been a killer for years..... 3" and 3.5" with Patternmaster as top finisher, and Benelli Extended Modified Choke tubes as a second place finisher.

Great patterns with all BB size shot - 3" and 3.5" with Patternmaster as top finisher and Benelli Extended Modified in second place.

I figured anyone who buys a new duck gun does something similar,....Thought this might be helpful to someone. I am going with #2 shot and a Patternmaster Code Black tube for the Fall...

Thanks

Tommy

ronaldo likes this.
  2. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    Good to hear, I love mine so far!!

3. Red dog retriever

Red dog retriever New Member

Patterning a shotgun with several brands of ammo and chokes is essential for effective waterfowl hunting. Good job and enjoy your SBE3. I certainly have!

IMG_3388.JPG

tobintc, mudhen and ronaldo like this.
  4. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

Any "problem" with the SBE III shooting 8-10" high at ~40 yrd.'s as been reported on another website? From the photo it must be shooting pretty darn close to POA/POI. Thx.

5. Red dog retriever

Red dog retriever New Member

Straight out of the box with the factory chokes all the ammo I tried appeared to be 6-8 inches high at 30 yards. I did a bit of research on this site as well as others and came to the conclusion that I needed to do two things; shim the gun to fit my body and replace the stock red bead sight (which I didn't care for) for a Hi-Viz competition sight.

Everything I read is that the SBE3 was designed to "shoot" high when aimed directly at a target. It was designed to "float" the target like competition clay shooters like. Actually, it fit my "sight window" on flying objects, whether a bird or clay, extremely well. Even before I shimmed it and added the RR T2 I was busting clays pretty consistently. I wanted a more consistent pattern and a reduced "float" objective.

I switched out the shim that came in my SBE3 with the "C" one that fit my long arms and torso. It looked like it would make an insignificant difference but when I shouldered the gun I saw so much less of the rib I was surprised. The Hi-viz sight was an easy plug and play replacement. The RR T2 had great reviews and it tightened my pattern much better than the stock choke tubes.

At the range I used the following ammo to test the patterning;
    All are 3" shells and at least 11/5oz
    Black cloud #2
    Blindside #2
    Fiocchi #2
    Heavy steel #3
    Remington sportsman #3
    Kent silver steel #2
    Winchester xperts #2
    Hypersonic #2

At 30 yards the Kents put 95% of the pellets in a 20" circle. The sportsmans were next at 90%, followed by black cloud and fiocchi which were nearly the same. The hypersonics hurt. I chose the kents as the sportsmans leave a lot of residue in the gun.

Shot 5 boxes of 3" 1oz #8 target loads at some clays with only one that didn't eject. Not the fault of the gun as the shell was a reload and didn't discharge completely. I smashed the clays.

Ten days hunting, very successfully and I am pleased and do not feel I paid too much for this gun. From the first time I shouldered it, it fit like a glove. Now it shoots like an extension of my body.

RRD

ronaldo likes this.
  6. OneShotBandit

Thank you for the info again.

7. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    OneShot, mine is only about 3-4" high and maybe 2" left at 30 yards. Same with me, on flying targets I'm smoking them. Got about 1500 rounds through it, flawless so far.

Red dog retriever likes this.
  8. tobintc

tobintc New Member

I did fail to mention that my pattern was 60/40 w regards to shot pattern. I usually keep the bird in view as I swing and anticipate that this will continue based on these tests. My shots were at 40 yds and I did not experience any high patterns per request. I believe she will be a killer.

BAYDOG and Red dog retriever like this.
  9. mb123

mb123 New Member

I currently own two SBE3's, one 26" and a 28" barrel.

26" barreled SBE3:
    Out of the box the gun was hitting about 5"-6" above POA with the stock bead, which is much smaller than the Remington 870 Wingmaster bead that I have to compare it too. Installed a Hiviz fiber optic and used the medium bead. It brought the pattern down to 2.5"-3" above POA with a 60/40 pattern depending on what shell is used. Been used for Dove season and the opening week of early Duck season, also plenty of patterning and trap shooting. No complaints with reliability or hitting what I intend on as long as I do my part.

28" barreled SBE3:
    Out of the box with the stock bead the gun was hitting about 3"-3.5" above and 1"-2" left of POA. Installed the same Hiviz fiber optic sight and it brought down the POA. Currently it is hitting 1.5"-2" above and still 1"-2" left of POA using the smallest of the fiber optic inserts (still larger than the stock bead). Pattern is about 55/45. This is all dependent on what shells are used. This has been used for the last two weekends for Duck season since it's return from getting trigger work and cerakoting, also used for patterning and trap shooting as well. No complaints with is either on reliability or hitting what I intend to as long as I do my part.

I am really liking these shotguns and find them an improvement over the SBE2, Versamax and M2 that I have had in the past.

Red dog retriever likes this.
  10. OneShotBandit

I didn't want to hear this.....I WANT, but don't NEED a new Benelli 3 as my 2 is only 5 years old! Thx, Bro! :tu