Benelli SBE3 Pattern Test

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by tobintc, Oct 18, 2017.

1. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

If your having problems shooting right or left of poi play with the cast off shims they supply w gun. Screw in full choke. Set up target with baseball sized dot at 15 yds. Snap gun to shoulder and shoot at dot as instinctually shooting. That will tell you what adjustments need to be made. Should be able to make adjustments to gun to obliterate dot. Worked w my m2 years ago . I too required the c drop shim to obliterate that dot and right hand cast shim.

2. mb123

mb123 New Member

Both my guns are set up with the right hand cast off and have the C shim installed, this places the center of the shot pattern on the target. This is verified by myself out to 32-35 yards on paper with 5 shots 35x35” paper sheet. No aiming, just throwing it to my shoulder and firing. Both guns are hitting nicely, I’m just not the best wing shot:D

3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Benelli,s are notoriously light in front end which translates into swing stopping. Some people desire this lightness, I do not for wing shooting duck,doves, geese, etc. Years ago when shooting my original Super black eagle on sporting clays adding weight to front end automatically picked up 5 birds. Originally used a long mag extension with 6oz. recoil reducer stuffed in end of it and padding behind it to take up space. Worked good. When I starting shooting m2 I took a 2 shot mag extension an filled w lead since moving balance point closer to forearm required more weight. Gun overall with sling now weighs 8.5 lbs.Perfect weight for me and follows thru on its own. The manufactured mag cap replacement recoil reducers just didn't give me enough frontal weight to keep from swing stopping but might work for others.

4. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

I would not place too much relevance to much of what that thread (on the "other" site) contains as most of it (IMO) emanates from the King of Duplicity.

ronaldo likes this.
  5. ndavi47

ndavi47 New Member

Good Afternoon, OneShotBandit,

I am having the same out of box issue you are referencing (and seems like everyone else is too). Im not interested in sending the gun back to Benelli since this seems to be by design.

Can you post a little more detail on the changes you made to correct this? I am not familiar with how to "shim" the gun to fix POI from POH. Also which HiViz sight did you switch to? As that seems to be a common fix as well. Also if Im reading right, you switched the stoke choke too?

Any help would be great, I have a 3 day guided hunt coming up and was looking forward to taking daily limits with the SBE3.

Thank you,

Nick

RRD

6. Golovkin

Golovkin Senior Refuge Member

I have the same 870 magnum waterfowl edition (Love it) but I also want a a SBE3 - How has your duck shooting compared to the 870?

7. Drake91

Drake91 Refuge Member

mb123,

when u patterned your sbe 3 did u get solid patterns out of the factory extended ic and mod choke tubes???.
    . I tried muliple loads an could not get good patterns out of them with shot sizes from 4-BB... BB patterned better than any shot sizes I tried... I feel the factory flush chokes patterned better than these new extended choke tubes... my wife has a Vinci I took her modified flush choke an patterned way better than the extended choke tubes... I have a kicks high flyer full in my gun now it throw good patterns... but when I had my Vinci before I got this sbe3 I never had an aftermarket choke my factory flush chokes threw great patterns with most shells

8. Beaver5

Beaver5 Senior Refuge Member

I would be mad if I bought a new gun and it shot more than a couple of inches high and really mad if it shot left or right of poa. I had a M1 once that shot low, I sold the barrel and bought another that shoots dead on point. I haven't seen the SBE3 yet, I'm still shooting the original SBE. I liked the SBE2 BUT there isn't enough difference in the original and the 2 to make any difference. That did they change on the 3?

9. Drake91

Drake91 Refuge Member

not much that I know of made it alil lighter bigger safety bigger bolt release made the gun slimmer... and I don't know how true it is I heard rumors they made the bore larger than. the 2... also gave u 3 flush chokes an 2 extended steel chokes

10. Beaver5

Beaver5 Senior Refuge Member

A bigger bore would be good as the bigger bore guns aren't as ammo picky from pattern test I have done with golds, sx3 and sx2s. But not at the expense of one shooting 8" high. Was just curious, thanks for the response. Have a awesome season.