Beretta A300 Outlander

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by HybridMachine, Dec 4, 2012.

1. HybridMachine

HybridMachine Elite Refuge Member

Posted on the main forum aswell..
    Looking for Reviews.......
    Heard the only differnce from the A300 and the A400 is lack of the "Kick-Off" unit. and Price
    Also heard the Gas Operated system is similar to 391, Which I heard is a Great gun aswell.

Thanks Guys
    -Tim

2. ttu

ttu New Member

I have had an A300 for a couple months. So far so good with no hiccups after the initial "break-in" box of shells. I have probably run a half case of 3 inchers through the gun, so it certainly has not been tested.

The gun has a very neutral balance, but definitely lighter and a bit more lively than other low-end 390 or 3901 guns which I have handled. The forearm on the A300 also seems narrower than previous Walmart 390s or the 3901 Citizen series.

The adjustable stock is nothing to look at, but quite functional. I pulled the spacer off and put a limbsaver slip-on recoil pad over the factory pad. The factory recoil pad is okay at best. The shim system on the Beretta adjusts for both cast and drop, and I didn't fully realize how badly my shotguns fit until I started playing with the cast adjusters.

The safety is in the wrong spot as far as I am concerned. I just prefer it on the back of the trigger guard. My non-familiarization with safety cost me more than a couple ruffies and roosters this fall as well as a few "what the &@$" type looks from a seasoned drahthaar.

The trigger has some creep before breaking, but when it gets to the breaking point it is crisper than my Benellis. The trigger pull itself is lighter than my Benellis; much lighter than I prefer for a shotgun. It will be adjusted this off-season.

I don't like the position of the carrier stop button. Seems prone to being pushed as shells are loaded into the magazine tube. I have gotten used to it, but don't like it.

I remain leery about the "self-cleaning" gas system. I have not exposed the gun to drenching rain or a goose field when the fine dust is blowing, so from a reliability perspective, it is untested as far as I am concerned. Cleaning is relatively easy, but you can not strip the gun like you can with a Benelli. I still have concerns about not being able to break apart the gas system.

I have been out in rain and wet weather numerous times with no indications of rust (which is more than I can say of my now rattle-canned Benellis).

I believe my follow-up shots are quicker with the Beretta, compared to my previous Benelli semis (M1 and SBE) due to the gas system. I am also tending to favor the flat rib on the Beretta vs. the raised ribs on my Benellis. So much so that I am looking for a flat rib for my SBE.

The Beretta A300 Outlander was really a $627 experiment for me. So far, so good. We will see what I am shooting a decade from now....

leftyhunter likes this.
  3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

The gas system of the A300 is more similar to the 391 than the A400... No rotating bolt on the A300 either...

Appearance wise, the A300 supposedly looks more similar to the A400 (according to Beretta), but the components and action are probably more similar to the 391...

Tuleman and leftyhunter like this.
  4. 43x

43x Elite Refuge Member

What's the difference in the 300 and the 3901 ? Do both these guns run the same gas system ?

Thanks

5. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I've not seen or held the A300, but I've owned the Beretta 3901 12 ga. Citizen for two seasons now, and for $599 I believe I got a great deal on a quality auto. Soft shooter, faultless so far. My friend two years ago raved about the Franchi I-12 (?) and bought one- paid closer to $800 for that- but honestly I think he was more impressed by the one of the Franchi heiresses in the advertisements.:D He's had two major issues with the Franchi, a couple of weeks ago the carrier latch handle flew off- though Franchi was sending him one no charge. The 3901 fits me real well and I have not needed to make any adjustments. Before I purchased it, I looked closely at the Xtrema II which was selling for around $1200. That was out of my budget and I think the 3901 was a great buy and there are still some around new in the box. There are some 20 ga. models as well so scope it out.

6. 733SubDucker

733SubDucker Elite Refuge Member

The 3901 is being discontinued... per my conversation with Beretta CS.

The 300 will be their new entry level gun.

7. CharlieC

CharlieC Elite Refuge Member

Went to Bass Pro in Kodak, TN and they had one A300 Outlander in the rack, it was the last one they had. I shouldered it and bought it right there and then. Brought it home and ran three shells through it just to make sure it cycled, it did, without one problem. Now to get it out and give it a good cleaning and then to shoot some clays with it after I pattern it. Now I need someone to pull the targets for me :z

8. bomba

bomba Senior Refuge Member

i do not own a a300, but i examined one in a store recently and here is what i observed.
    1-the gas piston is very similar to the new a 400.
    2-the bolt is very similar to the older al391...it does not rotate
    3-the recoil spring in in the butt stock (not the forearm like the a400)
    4-the gun is finished like the budget line 3901
    5-because it has a similar gas system to the newer a400 the forearm is slimmer than a al390 or 3901
    6-it looks like it would be a good gun for a guy with a $650 budget. i am of the opinion that it is a good value for the $
    7-the screw in chokes are the old style beretta mobile choke used in the old 390 series and the benelli m1 series which only God knows how many birds both clay and living breathing they have broken

leftyhunter likes this.
  9. HybridMachine

HybridMachine Elite Refuge Member

Any updates.....
    Thanks

10. mojo1

mojo1 Elite Refuge Member