Beretta A400 xtreme and fiocchi 3.5 in shells...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by lethal, Dec 31, 2016.

1. lethal

lethal Refuge Member

hey guys, anyone having or had problems ejecting these shells, or any other 3.5 in shell from the newest A400? The bolt is coming back and locking open, and the shell is moving back out of the chamber but hanging in the opening of the receiver. my buddies' brownings and winchesters are having no problems with the same shells. coincidently all three guns are new this season. Any help appreciated.

2. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Senior Refuge Member

My unscientific analysis is the Fioochis just don't have enough power to cycle the bolt. My SKB 900L could not cycle Fioocis reliably but my Weatherby SA-08 could.
    On the other hand it could be the shell us just a millimeter or so to long.
    My SKB had no problem with Winchester Super X. Maybe try a box of those or a more premium round.
    Leftyhunter

3. White Smoke

White Smoke New Member

I have not had any problems with those shells out of my a300 extrema. Probably not the shells.My sons A400 had to go back to a service center before it was reliable with 3 1/2 " shells. Try some Kents, and try putting a bit of CLP on the carrier release button.

4. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I had one 3 1/2 #1 do this in my new Franchi Intensity. I've fired a few others of these, and mostly use #3 Fiochhis and #2 HMs 3 inch shells without a problem. Not sure if it was a fluke or was because the gun hadn't had many shells through it?

5. lethal

lethal Refuge Member

very frustrating. the gun is less than two boxes old. i may try another brand shell just to see the results, but, it is unacceptable to me to pay what i did for a "premium" Italian shotgun that won't shoot shotshells from one of Italy's largest and oldest ammo manufacturers. I'm trying to decide whether to send it in to Beretta, or keep shooting it a while.

6. ronaldo

ronaldo Senior Refuge Member

As has been mentioned, it could be the length of the shell after fired. Some hulls are just a bit longer than others after the crimp is opened and they have trouble clearing the ejection port.

7. duckman54

duckman54 Senior Refuge Member

I recently bought a A400 extrema but only use 3'' shells, but I did scour the net trying to get reviews on it before I
    purchased it. From what i remember there were some that said they had problems ejecting the 3 1/2 shells. With that being
    said the first thing I would do as was mentioned above is to check the length of the empty with another brand. A guy left a couple of boxes of Fiocchi 3 1/2's in our blind last year and told us to shoot them up.

I was shooting my Maxus then, but they would get hung up and not eject. It happened twice in a row and I didn't try anymore of them. Comparing the hull with another you could see it was a little longer.

ronaldo likes this.