Best 2 man layout boat?

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by big n nasty, May 16, 2014.

1. pmcc

pmcc Senior Refuge Member

Big n Nasty
    The LB looks big enough to go old school in. A couple of Bay dogs and a punt gun out in the Chesapeake Bay. I'll book one of those hunts.

2. TonyH

TonyH Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Nelli, The USCG stopped voluntary testing on April 30th. Its now up to the manufacturers to know how to test them and do it properly. I know this because we wanted to send the new Sea Class 17 for re testing to upgrade to 75hp rating and couldnt meet the test date deadline before they stopped testing.

BTW great looking boat. that thing looks massive.

3. TonyH

Bill the Kalash 2 man is indeed a sick boat. We have the molds and can make all glass ones and should have the plans for the 2 man available this fall so people can build there own Kalash layouts as well. Yup thats right Kalash plans to build your own John Kalash model layout boat. Once we have the design copyright back from the copyright office we will offer plans to build them.:tu

4. TonyH

There are only a few options for a 2 man on the market, Our Legacy and 2 man Kalash and the Bankes revolution. Both fantastic boats yet very different. And apparantly LBLB's will have one soon as well. A word of caution. If a layout has a flat bottom. Its not going to be towable at high speeds. Trust me with this one a little ramp on the bottom leading to a flat hull will NOT tow over idle and will be very very dangerous if you do so.

Some input from a manufacturer who might be able to help you in the purchase process with a few things guys dont consider.

A few things to consider.....

If this a going to be used for guiding or personal use?

Will you always have a 4-5 man crew to be able to handle a 2 man everyday?

If the answer above is guiding and yes then a 2 man is perfect and the Legacy fits perfectly on the carolina skiffs, one couple of our great friends and customers whome guide in NJ have been using these skiffs exclusively for the legacy and its a perfect match. fits the skiffs like a glove.

But if the answer is not guiding i strongly recommend 2 singles stacked on top of each other. for a few reasons. mainly the weight and ability to man handle a huge 2 man boat. while 200lbs is not bad to handle doing it everyday with less than 4 people is a PITA. Price wise sure 2 singles are slightly more costly but alot more easily used for many situations.

Just a few things to consider. If we can be of any help feel free to give me a call anytime.

Here is a couple shots of the legacy resting on Reedy Creek Outfitters carolia skiff.
    http://www.waterfowl-works.com/layo...t_-Boat_Photo_Gallery/normal_christmas_08_098

http://www.waterfowl-works.com/layo...ayout_-Boat_Photo_Gallery/normal_1-3D5-09_001

http://www.rconj.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=16&pid=1225#top_display_media

Good luck in your search.

5. big n nasty

big n nasty Elite Refuge Member

Yes Tony this is for guiding on he Chesapeake. I am very familiar with your boats and will probly end up getting one. Was just seeing if there is anything else out there before I buy one. Can you email me the info you info you have on the 2 man boats you will have available. Nick@steenoutfitters.com.

I thought core sound also had a 2 man boat.

Bill I am better breaking stuff then building stuff.

6. MG77

MG77 Senior Refuge Member

Bankes makes a great boat, I owned a 2 man for about 7 years. Tank of a boat and the fit and finish was second to none at the time I purchased. We had the boat out in some pretty rough conditions and incredibly stable in the water.

7. tsmart

tsmart Elite Refuge Member

After about an hour, they won't be able to move their necks.

Someone really needs to make a "comfortable" lay out, with back/neck support - and with enough foot room to accommodate big azse wader boots.

I haven't been in a comfortable layout boat yet...

T.

8. Nelliboy2

Nelliboy2 Elite Refuge Member

This is just a demo boat. The production models will have all the accessories that the other models do (hydro turf, back rest, drain plug, magnets etc). As far as the boot room. I wear size 13 and can almost stand them straight up in the big brother. If I was a little taller I'm sure I could stand my feet up as they have a nice drop down boot pan.

Personally I like laying my feet almost sideways, I lay in my bed like that to so I guess I never really worried about it much as long as I could fit in the boat comfortably.

I saw someone say it was large. It is as if you modeled two big brothers together. That's the size of this boat. It still maintains the low profile that LBLB is known for. Hope this helps, as I said earlier I'll post up the configurations as soon as I get ahold of Kelly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

9. Tealer

Tealer Senior Refuge Member

I fall asleep in Waterfowl Works layouts waiting for daylight on a regular basis. Built in back rests and foot room is a necessity in my book.

10. big n nasty

big n nasty Elite Refuge Member

Anyone making Kevlar boats?