Best 2 man layout boat?

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by big n nasty, May 16, 2014.

1. TonyH

TonyH Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Just got home will get an email off to you tonight.

As for Kevlar, Its way over rated on layout boats, There are lots and lots of them that were made previously that are falling apart at the seams literally due to the very thin flimbsy finish of them. I wouldnt even consider a kevlar layout. Not only was kevlar not designed for layout boats but the cost over the weight difference in my opinion isnt worth the difference. And weight would be the only reason to use it. But with the light weight comes a weaker product due to all the flex it causes which then causes seams to split and crack. Kevlar is for adbrassion resistance. It will crack and break very easily.

2. TonyH

Have you ever sat in a Legacy or UFO?

IF you have what made them uncomfortable to you?

http://www.waterfowl-works.com/layout_boat_gallery/index.php/UFO-Layout-boat-photo-gallery/seat

http://www.waterfowl-works.com/layo...gacy_2_Man_Layout_-Boat_Photo_Gallery/legacy2

Some guys want to bend there necks a little more and will put an extra pillow or something under there heads but I have never seen a more comfortable layout than these 2 and I have hunted from all but a Bankes Revolution. And foot room is no issue with either boat.:tu

3. Bux&dux

Bux&dux Refuge Member

Waterfowl-works is the way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. big n nasty

big n nasty Elite Refuge Member

I never got the email.

5. TonyH

Sorry I passed out last night after only 4 hrs sleep in 3 days.

Email has been sent off. Let me know what we can do to help.

6. CaptSanner295

CaptSanner295 Elite Refuge Member

I can vouch for Tony and his boats. Much better made than any MLB. Lighter and more durable. Tony also stands behind his work 110% very easy to get a hold of if you do have issues. The only 2 things I'd like to see improved are the durability of the headrests, and a easier way to put up and take down spray shield maybe a rework on it all together. Besides those two little things I'll never own any other brand.

7. tsmart

tsmart Elite Refuge Member

Personally, I HAVE to have room to move my feet - or I feel trapped. And I'm pushing the bottom out of 50 (yrs old), and I have to move around or I get stiff (you young guys will know what I mean soon enough). :l

^I like the looks of that one. Looks more comfortable than the one's I've been in.
    How's the feet room?
    Enough room for a size 11/12 (Cabela's Super Mag's w/ big arsed boots)?

T.

8. Nelliboy2

Nelliboy2 Elite Refuge Member

I see. Well two things I can tell you about the big brother Lblb (the big bother is the single man they make). The cockpit extends to just above my knee. Makes it a lot easier to climb in and out. You also have that sunk in foot pan which I can almost stand my feet up wearing 12s.

As far as their two man, I haven't laid in it before but I just preordered one last night. So we will see, I am a wee bit excited to see it once it hits the market officially.

I will say that I owned a UFO before lblbs. It was a very good big water boat, and a good big guy boat as well. At the time I was 17 years old and 310 pounds. I was very comfortable in the boat even in rougher seas.

However, I decided that I wanted to target puddle ducks quite a bit, I believe that the higher profile of the UFO was its largest down fall. So I got on a diet and weight training program dropped 70 pounds from May-Aug and bought a set of those big brothers. I will say the low profile is great for puddle ducks and divers in high pressured areas. I normally don't hunt much more than 3' waves because it becomes a chore and you can lose control of the situation pretty easily so I really didn't sacrifice anything switching to a 6" tall boat.

Hope this helps a bit. I'll be sure to post up first impressions when I receive the boat later this summer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

9. TonyH

T,

Keep in mind a layout is designed for low profile and its tough to get alot of foot room and keep that profile. The UFO is slightly higher profile than some of the others but dont be fooled either. Alot of how high a layout sits depends on how much weight is in it. For example a 300lb guy will sit about 3" Lower than a 150lb guy. We designed our UFO with a specific weight in mind to float it level perfectly with the chine. No shadows up under the bow when you lay in it. Its designed to be perfectly floating with 250lbs in it. Less or more will change things. We have been in this game a long time. And design is everything with layout boats. But they do have limits and trust me we have tested and tried everything with designs of a layout.

It took a long time to get a perfectly towable layout thats NOT huge and heavy and at a decent height profile and when we completed it we immediately copyrighted the hull to prevent it from being stolen. There is no other way to make them towable and truely towable at high speeds with the least amount of fear of sinking the boat.
    If you really want foot room and comfort chek it out, The Towable UFO and yes its 100% towable even at high speeds.(video on our website) is for you. a full 13" of foot room and can hide a 300lb man easily inside the cockpit of the boat.

10. TonyH

These photos are a perfect example of the Shadows I am talking about and how they vary with weight. This group of photos couldnt be any bettee for comparing. Look closely at the bow and stern of the boat and how floats on the water even with 3 guys in it. Then compare that to the photos with 1 and 2 guys. These huge shadows are way more important than the height profile of the layout. These shadows are very very unnatural on open water and will stick out badly. A layout should float level on the chine of the boat with a certain designed weight. Height profiles of a mere couple inches doesn't cause much problem because with the spray shields erect you have an even higher profile.

You want to get low in the water and really disappear? This one will get it done. The gentleman in this boat is pushing the max weight limit.
    [​IMG]

Okay If anyone has any questions or concerns feel free to give me a shout. 937-418-7207. Spending way to much time online gotta stay on top of all the things we got working around here this time of the year.