Best age to neuter?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Rangerbob, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

$$$$$$. It's more costly to do that procedure due to the time involved vs. the other.

And the fact that the Bob Barker spay/neuter propaganda still lives on in the minds of many in this country...................along with the lobbyists that represent the Vets that got many locales to charge more for rabies vaccinations for intact dogs vs. spayed/neutered dogs.............aka, The Veterinarians Full Employment Act......................and vets that "push" it and try to essentially intimidate dog owners into it!!!!

Junk regards.

2. Tuck31

Tuck31 Elite Refuge Member

Actually Vets look to charge more but it's an easier procedure. Vets around here are disgusting me. One wants $2000. Another $1,000. Easier and much less radical than gonadectomy.

Someone please try and justify the highway robbery engaged in by vets for a more humane way to sterilize dogs and cats.

3. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

They are money hungry. They are more interested in treating Grandma's little puff ball than they are livestock or as pedestrian as a hunting dog. I live in a very rural area and our vets do everything from pulling a calf to give a rabies shot. My vet is so cheap that I tip him for services rendered. My vet charges $75 for a spay or neuter for dogs and $50 to spay a cat. Everyone here knows how to cut a tomcat, so no cost

Dorkweed likes this.
  4. BobGlover

BobGlover Senior Refuge Member

Why do a vasectomy on a male dog? It won't stop any sex drive (take it from me!) or any other behaviors. I could understand if you wanted to keep it with an unfixed female, but not for any other reasons.

5. Tuck31

1) Gonadectomy doesn't necessarily change behavior (I learned this first hand with my last lab, and the science says so too) 2) the testes perform important biological functions other than creating sperm.

Read the article that talks about why not to neuter your dog until he is fully developed, as that will help you understand.

I don't want to turn this into Vet bashing because I know there are many (if not most) out there that are good people. I am just finding in the SF Bay Area they gouge on certain services, especially if its something novel, like vasectomy. I have been quoted $2000, $1000 plus meds and extras, and finally found someone for under $400 which he explained is the same price for a spay procedure because "it takes about the same amount of time." Now that is an ethical vet!

6. i_willie12

i_willie12 Elite Refuge Member

about the same here! Same stuff cost my brother 3x's more in springfield than it does me! I have had client dogs end up in vet for 10 days.. puncture wound.. open, clean, open clean over and over.... plus meds and boarding fee's.. total cost $200

Dorkweed likes this.
  7. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Not the theme of the thread but there are reasons beyond greed/dirtbaggery than can and often do account for price differences between geographic areas, different practice settings etc...be it veterinary care or other businesses.

No doubt there are dirtbags in all professions but take Jim the country vet who graduated in 1976, has one assistant, one office person, and one part-time vet. He paid for his building 12 yrs ago, his school 10 yrs ago, has an established clientele, neither he nor his clientele are infatuated with the latest greatest etc.

That's quite a bit different than the three school buddies who just opened a practice in a big city trying to compete with the 'chain' corporations, have three educations to pay for, have three times the staff to accommodate their busy urban setting and clientele, are open 3 hours more per day, have a loan on their property etc...

I don't fault either for attempting to make what they can within their market setting. If either are too far out of bounds of the norm for such they won't last long.

Doc E likes this.
  8. Tuck31

I'm with you. Make what you can, BUT what I am seeing here is a bit of gouging. Within 90 miles $2000, $1000+ and $385. The last one told me its the equivalent of performing a spay in terms of work/time etc, and that is why he charges what he does. Maybe the others just don't want to do it and try to discourage the procedure with the high price.

9. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Could be.

In OK at least you can go 90 miles and go from a town of hundreds of thousands to multiple towns with one or no vets...could be a lot of things.

Could certainly be a gouge mentality...Walmart RX, $4 for a cheap drug and people (including docs) think they're wonderful and affordable...they fail to inquire about or recognize that on all kinds of other scripts they make margins that are 2x, 3x, 5x (or more) what a local independent charges....how kind of them...