Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Best and Worst Bird to start with....

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Harliduck, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Harliduck

Harliduck Moderator Moderator

I know this will come up so I thought I would bring it up.

In my opinion the worst duck or upland bird to start with would have to be a Wood duck. Their skin is super thin and they usually are quite fat. Pintails could fit that bill as well. If size was the issue, a California quail could give one a fit.

To me the easiest bird, if you can get your hands on one, would have to be a White-Wing Scoter. Almost totally black, super thick skin, and no neck cut! (Of course for those that use fake heads that is not an issue but newbies usually do not start out with this technique). A more common bird would be a Ringneck pheasant. Hardly any grease, no oil glands, and thick skin.

What do you guys think?

2. Wildthings

Wildthings Elite Refuge Member

Harliduck

I would have to agree with you on the woodduck issue. I've always said they are like soaking wet tissue paper just waiting to fall apart.

I also always have a fit with green wing teal, seems they don't like me too much

White wing scoter ? never have done one but I would imagine they are like all divers. Love doing them divers with those skins like leather.

3. HarlequinTaxidermy

HarlequinTaxidermy Elite Refuge Member

I would agree on the white wing, however, I'd take a wood duck over a gw teal anyday!!!! and mourning doves are just a nightmare.. but oh well.

pheasants are always a good starter bird... thick skinned and for most, easily attainable.

Jon

4. Wildthings

Wildthings Elite Refuge Member

HarlequinTaxidermy

Welcome to the forums !!!

5. DesertWings

DesertWings Elite Refuge Member

I agree on the wood duck but will add a whitewing dove and woodcock as my worst nightmares.

As for my easiest bird, any of the scoters, the Atlantic eider, and pheasants and chuckar.

6. Harliduck

Harliduck Moderator Moderator

Jon.....WELCOME OVER!!!

I was just going to get to your IM, you must have seen my post on that "other" site! Stick around please and share some of your expertise!

I forgot about Doves...I always go on a hunt in September for them during their molt, not fun at all, almost impossible...

Jon....let me know if you have any problems posting pictures....I will help you out...

7. HarlequinTaxidermy

HarlequinTaxidermy Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Yes Harli, doves are a pain if there ever was one! Just did a semi-albino mourning that was shot up beyond belief, but the hunter had to have it. It was in heavy moult and was covered in blood.... to wash, .... had to ... #1 no no with doves.. no water unless completely necessary...
    Needless to say, i wont be posting a picture of this bird anytime soon.. talk about embarasssing....i hate to even charge the guy and probably wont... but geeze!!!

Looking forward to playing in the forum!
    jon

8. muthagoose

muthagoose Elite Refuge Member

There are 3 things I hate to see come n the door ,,dove and pin featherd featherd woody or swan but doves are the worst.. Quail and woodcock aint to bad...
    But then again what about the 90 degree neck hung deer..LOL

9. Half-Breed

Half-Breed Elite Refuge Member

scaup are always good for a learner, so is bufflehead and you even get a good looking bird to boot

10. Firetiger

Firetiger Elite Refuge Member

You want thin skinned? try a Artic Ptarmingan (sp)
    Man you look at that bird and the Pin feathers fall out,,forget the tumbler,, I think woodies are a second best (worst) choice for the beginner,,giver me Divers, all day long