Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Best and Worst Bird to start with....

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Harliduck, Mar 27, 2003.

1. BRETT McCUTCHEON

BRETT McCUTCHEON Elite Refuge Member

A woodcock has got to be the worst! I tell anyone who wants to bring one to me, BRING 2!:l

2. Chuckcnctaxi

Chuckcnctaxi Senior Refuge Member

I NEVER take any birds with pinfeathers-just asking for trouble.I had an iffy early season opener woody come in still with pins-had to break it to the guy it wasn't gonna turn out . Its better than giving them back a bird that looks 1/2 bald.this will later reflect on the taxidermist no matter the condition of the bird when it was brought in.
    To answer your question the best birds to start with are late season ringneck pheasant(upland),and an old drake mallard(waterfowl)tough skins . Green wing teal and woodcock have got to be top of my thin skinned list of do not do these first.

3. ringneck_duck

ringneck_duck Senior Refuge Member

So divers have to be the easiest to learn from

4. Chuckcnctaxi

Chuckcnctaxi Senior Refuge Member

I get mostly puddleducks here .I did one hoodie last year -one wing up he was preening underside. It was ok but from one bird to the next you will find the skin toughness will vary .Someone told me spoonies are very delicate like woodies. I wish they were all as tough as squirrel skin.The key to mounting birds is not to use too much force defatting on a wheel or handbrush.Keep the skins moist,as they dry they become more delicate and easy to rip or burn through with the wheel. Break open the "membrane" of the fat and let the degreaser work agitating as it soaks.rinse 3 times or until it doesn't produce any clouding to the water. If theres ANY fat or grease left in the feathers it will not fluff back to what it was originally. Geese are very fatty but the skins are fairly tough by comparison to other birds . Check out the site I suggested and you'll do fine.The archives go back to 1999 -good reading

5. Spec

Spec Gold Refuge Member

I find teal the easiest bird to mount It takes me about 4 hours to mount one on a good day and beginers seem to have a easier time learning on them !