Best Bang for the Buck (Planting)?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by GLS, Dec 22, 2016.

1. GLS

GLS New Member

I've got approximately 10 acres with water control that can be planted. Water depth is probably 24" max. Looking at breaking it up into multiple plots of an acre or two and planting a few different things to see what may work in the future. Options are corn, rice, millets (jap & browntop),WGF sorghum & open to suggestions. I'd like to generate some numbers as far as seed rates, fertilizer costs (if needed), herbicide, etc., potential yields, how long if flooded the duck food is viable, etc.

Anyone have any numbers or know where I might find them? I'm in east central MO. Thanks

2. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

You might try a patch of buckwheat. A friend and I did patch work like you are suggesting a few years back. We planted millet, oats, barnyards grass and buckwheat and also disced a small area for smartweed. Woodies and mallards were all over the buckwheat until it was gone then moved on to the oats, then the other patches.

4. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

5. GLS

GLS New Member

Thanks smashdn! A couple of these I've read and have printed and in a binder as you suggested. Several are new which I'll be reading. I appreciate the links.

6. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Great links Smashdn, even an old dog can learn new tricks, thanx.

The Mods ought to put this into a sticky.

7. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

I wouldn't divide it up. If I had a 10 acre unit with irrigation and water control, the first thing I would do is build some mounds and plant with switchgrass to hunt from. For food I'd do 1 of 3 things. Rice, corn, or moist soil. Don't try to over complicate it and make your management any more difficult than it needs to be. Here's a picture of an old catfish farm that's been converted to a duck club. Each pond is approximately 10 acres. About 1/3 of the complex is just willow trees. The other 2/3 that split up into corn, rice, and moist soil. They plant Egyptian wheat inside the units to hunt from. Screenshot_20161223-155841.png

JFG likes this.
  8. knees

knees Elite Refuge Member

I'll second corn. We've had good success with buckwheat (they prefer it later in the season after it gets cold). Millets are hit/miss because of blackbirds. Corn is KING.

9. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

Sorghum flooded to the heads.

10. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Best bang for the buck can't be corn can it? Is it not pretty expensive to get a crop?

Would seem like moist soil would be cheapest followed by broadcasting jap millet.