Best bet for open water camo?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by StumpJumper, Feb 2, 2018.

1. StumpJumper

StumpJumper Refuge Member

I'm going to make a low profile boat blind this offseason. What's my best bet for a camo pattern that would work in mostly open water on reservoirs? I would be trying to hide in some stumps and dead trees, but they aren't real thick. Natural gear? Should I get any kind of grass to attach to it? Or just break some limbs off other trees and lay them across the boat?

2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Guys paint layout boats and scullers a medium grey when they are out in open water.

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Doesn't matter what camo you use in open water; your boat/blind will look the same. Just cover it completely with RealGrass, FastGrass, etc. and hope for the best.

4. shooter

shooter Elite Refuge Member

I saw a very convincing camo job on a layout boat, it was medium gray but it had stripes painted on it to make it look like the ripples on the water. Not sure if it would work for your application, though. Seems like with little natural cover any extensive camo job (bunch of limbs or full grass cover) would wind up looking very obvious.
    You could always emulate the dazzle camo that was popular in WWII.

callinfowl likes this.
  5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Don’t brush it with any type grass, the birds will avoid you like the plague in an open water situation, especially in the later season. As others have said, gray is the way to go. A little black to break it up some works very well. You’ll never see an effective layout boat in open water decked out in grass. Keep your blind low enough and it will work too.

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Are you doing a layout boat or just a low profile boat blind? If your gonna be around some stumps I'd attempt to make it look like another stump or log. I built a couple of hybrids several years ago and went that route, just painted them a dark brown and gray and hid amongst the stumps. We smoked the ducks doing that, but the lake was down so there were quite a few logs and stumps showing.
    If a boat blind you could add a few random "limbs" sticking out to break up the outline a bit and look more like a laydown, but I wouldn't grass it either unless there's other little grassy areas around.

7. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Stumps and dead trees doesn't sound like open water to me. I'd go with a grassed/brushed in blind. Great lakes guys paint thier Bankes layout boat blinds gray to blend in with the open water miles from shore for diver hunts....it works great on divers, but it's tough to fool puddle ducks with it.

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Depends on where you're at and how you define it I guess. Here when they draw the lakes down you can be nowhere near the shore, yet be in water only a few feet deep. While there will be a few stumps and such around there's no trees, brush, etc for hundreds of yards. About as open water as people hunt around here.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018