Best Climber Stand

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by TeamMD, Apr 15, 2011.

1. TeamMD

TeamMD Refuge Member

I am new to climber style treestands but have picked up a new piece of ground to hunt and I need to be mobile in order to scout the property. What have you guys had experience with and what stand do you like the best for the price? Thanks

2. sherlockbonez

sherlockbonez Senior Refuge Member

Everyone I know uses a summit of some sort.

3. Ducky CPA

Ducky CPA Senior Refuge Member

Second that vote for Summit

4. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

Summit fan here - good stand for the value.

5. Hally

Hally Elite Refuge Member

I'll throw the curve ball...I had a Summit climber and hated it. I may never climb another. I'm not fond of the teeth on the seat and platform that grab the bark. Unless they changed their design in the past 8 year, they are sort of round. I even had a hard time digging into an Ash. Too many times I would get 10 feet up and not feel safe so I sold it.

Since then, I've been in a older model API Grand Slam Bowhunter. The Alui-Tech Bowhunter is the same thing, just comes with a better back rest and footrest. I have had zero problems with this stand. Even climbing hard-barked trees like Oaks, Aspen and Hickorys. I've felt very comfortable 25 feet up. That stand digs in like no tomorrow.

If money were no issue, I'd be climbing a Lone Wolf Wide Sit & Climb II.

Tree stand safety is nothing to screw with. Maybe you can find a few different brands and try them out. If you don't feel safe, don't buy it.
    Safety Harnesses are another thread!

Good luck
    Hally

6. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

While I can see where Hally is coming from - I have to disagree with his opinion. I have been hunting out of Summit climbers for about 13yrs - and they work great. I get them to grind into a tree just fine.

On the other hand - I hated the API because it was too noisy climing with those teeth and chains.....

Summit Viper is the most comfortable stand in the woods right now.....

7. cococreek

cococreek Senior Refuge Member

I climb, pine, oak, gum, ash, hickory nearly anything big enough with my Summit Viper and have no complaints, best I've used overall

I have an older API Grand Slam Supreme (I think) that is comfortable and climbs well just a pain to get on the tree

8. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

One more vote for the summit viper. I own one, my son, and my father. easy enough for 76 and a 12 year old to use. Trustworthy enough that I trust my 12 year old to use one as well.

9. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

The only issue I've ever had with my Summit was on smaller trees the top part of the climber will rotate some. Make sure you use the cam strap or a ratchet to secure the top part to the tree.

10. Dski

Dski Senior Refuge Member

Another vote for Summit. I've been in an X5 for years - No complaints. I Bought my buddy a Titan last year - big fella who was scared to death of climbers - no complaints out of him now!! Great stand if your a big fella.
    Make sure you consider what you'll use for a harness though - don't even consider climbing without one!