Best Climber Stand

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by TeamMD, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Duckologist

Duckologist Elite Refuge Member

In have both API and most recently a summit. I like the API much better. I couple these with a Muddy harness for my fall protection.

2. sherlockbonez

sherlockbonez Senior Refuge Member

Which API do you have. What do you like about it vs the summits?

3. Hally

Hally Elite Refuge Member

FINALLY! I'm not the only one.

Sherlock, this is what I posted a while back. It was the Cobra that I had.

I'll throw the curve ball...I had a Summit climber and hated it. I may never climb another. I'm not fond of the teeth on the seat and platform that grab the bark. Unless they changed their design in the past 8 year, they are sort of round. I even had a hard time digging into an Ash. Too many times I would get 10 feet up and not feel safe so I sold it.

Since then, I've been in a older model API Grand Slam Bowhunter. The Alui-Tech Bowhunter is the same thing, just comes with a better back rest and footrest. I have had zero problems with this stand. Even climbing hard-barked trees like Oaks, Aspen and Hickorys. I've felt very comfortable 25 feet up. That stand digs in like no tomorrow.

4. Duckologist

I have no issues with the summit biting. My issues are the seat that hangs well below the frame of the stand. So I am sitting way down in the stand and I don't like that. Where on my API, I have the seat adjusted to where it isn't hanging at all. I can shoot my bow from a sitting position. I think I am going to order an API seat for my summit to solve this issue.

5. Hally

Hally Elite Refuge Member

haha..I can't win!
    I do know guys that have switched the seats out. They say it works pretty good.

6. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Likewise, I have no issue with the teeth biting AS LONG AS I keep a downward angle on both the upper and lower pieces.

Don't understand your problem with the Summit seat. :scratch

Mine is fully adjustable in the height from the top bar, so I set it low for gun hunts and raise it to just a few inches lower than the bar for bow hunts. :tu

You must have a different seat. Mine is the older seat, not the full wrap-around style.

7. Duckologist

Yes it's new. My buddy has an old one that he can adjust all the way up. I cannot. If I take all the slack out of the adjustment, it is still hangin about 6 inches bellow the top bar. I want it to be even. I hate the seat, it makes the entire stand uncomfortable. On the other hand, I love how it packs. Well now I do now that I turned it upside down and pack it with cables pointing upward.

8. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Ducko,

You may be able to sell that seat and replace it with the old style... only $40 + shipping. You should be able to get at least that for the new style one since they sell for $99.

http://www.summitstands.com/productdetail.aspx?id=85147

It would 'fix' your comfort issue with it. :tu

9. foldingwings

foldingwings Senior Refuge Member

Duckologist
    What do you mean by turning the stand with the cables pointing up? If I remember correctly with mine I have to carry it with the cables down.

10. Willow Point

Willow Point Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Had a summit 12 or 13 years ago. It was the old style without the cable. I hated it. I bought an Ole Man Climber 10 years ago and have used it every since. I love it. I wouldn't mind having the lighter version of it however.