Best Climber Stand

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by TeamMD, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Duckologist

Duckologist Elite Refuge Member

Oh I fully intend on fixing my comfort issue. I am going to buy a new seat before the new season.

Foldwings, What I mean is, turn your backpack straps over, thus, pointing your cables to the sky. Which reminds me, the straps that came with that summit sucked so bad I had to get rid of them right off the bat.

2. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

I have hiked miles with my Summit - I won't leave home without it. No big problems with the straps - sure there are better straps out there....but I haven't had much problems.

I have shot deer sitting down, standing up - and even leaning on the rail (I wouldn't recommend that without making sure it is secure - it can pop loose if you lean on it the right way)

API is a decent stand - but I don't like how the teeth attach to the tree - too narrow, and it can be a wobbly climb until you get used to it....I also hate how it digs into the tree as you climb. If you get into a soft tree, there are times the bottom sucks in too tight, and it is tough to pop it out to continue climbing. Specifically when you are climbing and trimming the tree at the same time....

3. Duckologist

The straps on my summit fell apart on my first hunt and I had to jerry rig em with a piece of rope. Trash!!

4. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

Well - I currently have 3 Vipers (2 of them are the backpackers) and the newest one is probably 4-5yrs old......Never had a problem. I had 2 other Vipers before these - and never had a problem.

Maybe yours were defective. Summit has great CS....you should have called them.

I am not saying the straps are the greatest - but they do the job, and I have used the crap outta them...

5. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I think you're probably just 'too much MAN' for those measly straps, Ducko... :l

Fwiw, I replaced my factory straps with some padded ones I rigged up. It sure made it more comfortable to haul my 'Bullet Backpacker' into the woods. :tu

6. Duckologist

Yes, I don like the flimsy nylon straps anyway. They are not comfortable when you are hiking a mile or more. I got some army surplus backpack straps to put on my API. Very padded and comfortable.

7. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

For yall that hunt out of climbers I'm gonna let you in on a secret.

Mojo Leafy sheet. I was hunting a spot two years ago that was hard to hunt. Couldn't get high enough in any tree, hillside made the deer eye level on one approach.
    Zip-tied a sheet of the Mojo Leafy sheet to the top rail of m climber and let it hang down past the bottom. I had deer, turkeys, coyotes, all come by and then get shot. The coyote winded me but couldn't pick me out. Too bad for him. Really works well.:yes

8. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Be it 'Mojo Leafy Sheet' or a die-cut camo, either will help make a difference.

A solution I've used for the last few years fairly successfully is just four 30" (+/-) satin-leafed stalks that I picked up at Michaels. They're lightweight and provide just enough cover that I can sit in a tree less than 15' high and have deer walk within yards of me. If I need any extra, I just let a die-cut camo sheet hang off a hook behind me to break up my head and shoulders somewhat...

This isn't a great picture as the stand is just hanging around the base of a tree after I just got down.

9. woodiefever

woodiefever Senior Refuge Member

10. icebreaker12

icebreaker12 Elite Refuge Member

Well since I saw very few votes for them. I will throw mine out there for the Lone Wolf's. Yes they are a bit pricey, but they are the best stand on the market hands down. I hunt an area where you are basically required to hunt out of a climber. 6 guys in our group and we all use Lone Wolfs.