best decoy

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by TabCheck, Mar 7, 2015.

1. TabCheck

TabCheck Refuge Member

1st year turkey hunting in WA. Looks like I will be in need of a decoy of two. Whats the best bang for my buck?

2. dragon1681

dragon1681 Elite Refuge Member

I personally like the DSD decoys. They are a little pricy but I really think they are worth it. They hold up great, and look awesome. But what really sells me on them is the fact that they are made in the USA. I have killed a lot of birds over mine.

Tom L

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I've seen em killed over many different brands. I use an avian-x combo jake and hen, but only because I got a good deal on them. Cheap one work just as good if a hot bird is coming in. I watched 3 turkey's beat up on two decoys for the better part of a hour one day. Realism catches more turkey hunters than turkey's attention.

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I would recommend a jake and hen combination...

DSD is probably the most realistic and best made decoy; they are also very pricey... These decoys can take a fair number of pellets and still look very good. (About $260 for one pair)

Avian X makes a very realistic decoy that is about 40% less than DSDs... They are also a bit lighter in weight. However, they are inflatable, and a stray shotgun pellet will not work out so well. (About $180 for one pair)

Carrylite pretty boy jr. and pretty girl would be a far more affordable combination, but not as realistic. If you get the pretty boy jr., you will need to paint the head, as, from my experience that color scheme will do more harm than good... (About $100 or less for one pair).

The DSD's are not collapsible, and the jake decoy weighs in at just over 6 lbs. The Avain jake comes in at about 5lbs, and because it is inflatable, it is collapsible... However, they are a pain to inflate, so unless traveling a long distance, most people keep them inflated for the season.

The Carrylites are somewhat collapsible, but to my eye not as realistic.

Primos also makes an affordable and somewhat realistic jake and hen decoy.

Personally, I do feel that birds come in a bit better, or hang up less on more realist decoys...

Furthermore, I find myself using decoys less and less. If I am setting up on roosted birds, or hunting really open ground I will use them. Otherwise, I have actually had better luck leaving them in the truck.

Decoys are also nice if I am taking someone new to hunting, and I want to position the birds... Currently I have a DSD hen, and Avian Jake...

5. green-hntr

green-hntr Elite Refuge Member

Years ago I was using foam decoys you could buy for 10 bucks at Walmart. When the DSD hen came out I pulled the trigger. Yes it was expensive and yes it hurt my brain to the the amount of money I spent but I have killed more birds over that one decoy than with any foamer or rubber decoy that I have owned over the years.

Realism is the key. One time I left my hen out why we chased after some other birds that wouldn't commit. We were in a creek bottom and could hear em. Anyways., when we came back empty handed there was a 2 year old bird in full strut courting my DSD. I am a believer in a realistic decoy as I even committed a boss hen, she came in wanting to fight and brought two longbeards in tow. 2 shots later I was on top of the world.

My buddy has an avian, I have a dsd hen and a Dakota jake. Realism is the key and you can get much more realistic unless you go the stuffer route.

Bang for your buck.....Avian

6. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Yep. :tu

7. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

x3 .. If you have a set up place and I use a cheap collapesable wally-world hen in my vest, for chasin' ;)

8. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

After getting rid of my plastic duck decoys and making very effective cork decoys, I figured that I should invest a little more in turkey hunting and bought a DSD upright hen. Expensive yes, but a quality product, I don't mind toting it out and I don't always deploy it. I did get some birds using an old Delta and Flambeau decoy but this is better and if you spend $ on custom calls might as well treat yourself and get a good decoy.

9. Bethal Wildcat

Bethal Wildcat Refuge Member

10. redjones

redjones Senior Refuge Member

Here you go,the "Funky Chicken".
    Me,I have tried half a dozen different decoys thru the years but when I use decoys now I carry a DSD hen and a Dakota jake.
    Buy once cry once,they are expensive but I would probably go with a DSD hen and DSD jake,even if you buy one this year and the other next year.

Greg

[​IMG]