best decoy

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by TabCheck, Mar 7, 2015.

1. hawglips

hawglips Senior Refuge Member

My recommendation is not to use one at all. Only recently has the use of decoys taken over turkey hunting. I always recommend that a new guy learn to hunt without one first. The essence of the sport is calling one in to the gun. You lose a lot of the essence when you decoy one in instead. The bird's reaction is very different. The nature of the game is changed when decoys are used. Not bashing, just giving my two cents.

Jawbreaker likes this.
  2. killerv

killerv Senior Refuge Member

There is a time for decoys and a time for not and it takes time/experience in the turkey woods to figure that out. I've killed plenty with and plenty without and I can't say anything was diminished from the hunt or the taking of the bird by having a decoy out when I pulled the trigger.

I'm working on my first handcarved turkey decoy, so it will be the best decoy out there in my mind this season.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

What material, and what is the expected weight? I found a piece of foam when duck hunting that was shaped a lot like a turkey body a few years back, and my buddy had dried out a turkey pelt. I gave him the Styrofoam, and he glued the jakes skin to it, and slapped on an old decoy head. It ain't perfect, but the feathers add some fine detail! IMO, it's hard to paint the colors of a birds feathers. I consider his very fragile though.

Good luck with your carving!

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Frankly, I have had better success not using decoys most of the time, but there have been occasions in which I have found them to be beneficial.

It certainly provides a different, and sometimes interesting dynamic with the birds. I will utilize them when hunting with someone (especially hunting with someone inexperienced), as it diverts the birds attention, and you can sometimes put the birds where you want for the shot.

Setting up on roosted, and henned up birds, I will likely put out a decoy in an attempt to pull in hens and toms to establish dominance?

If I am running & gunning, the decoys stay in the truck? And, although I have had some success with decoys, I also feel that they have probably stopped more birds forward movement than promoted? If that tom is looking for the calling hen, he will continue forward movement until he sees her? Often when he sees the hen decoy, they seem to start strutting and displaying just out of range, waiting for that hen to come?

I have also seen them rush a jake decoy, and I have seen dominant birds tuck tail and run from them?

5. BOB_HARWELL

BOB_HARWELL Senior Refuge Member

6. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

Last year, after 40+ years of hunting, not getting picked for our turkey lotteries, and finally getting onto a deer lease with turkeys I shot my first turkey.

I did a lot of research, patterned my shotgun, practiced with my cheap Lil' Deuce slate call, and set out with a cheap foam decoy.

Bottom line, toms were very quiet last season, I called very little, and after traveling about 1/4 mile and circling me, I shot my first tom... he never saw the decoy.

He hung up, but he was well within range, and I took a shot I knew my gun/choke/load was capable of making.

Find a good area (or lease), scout, practice with your call, know your weapon, and I don't think you need a fancy decoy if one at all.

Now, I'm a one tom wonder but that's my $.02. We'll see how I do this season.

3ds

7. killerv

killerv Senior Refuge Member

She's not quite done but close enough to hunt with opening day. Tan cork and white cedar head, hollowed the cork to where she weights less than 2 lbs. I'll keep adding paint as the season progresses.

[​IMG]

8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Looks excellent killer! :clap :tu

9. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Good job! I have a couple dozen duck cork decoys that I fashioned that work on migrating Canadian divers. That ought to work on a dumb Eastern turkey.:D Our savvy Osceola species require a pulled pork sandwich and a cold one be placed next to the decoy.:tu

10. BuffleheadKing2

BuffleheadKing2 Elite Refuge Member

For those who hunt without decoys good for you I'm sure that makes things interesting. Where I hunt depending on the year it can be pretty open. Tom's come to calls looking for a hen. When they know they should see her and don't they are gone. You might kill a Jake or an occasional 2 year old but the birds that has played the game is outta there. Decoys also hold birds in close and allow us as hunters to learn how birds interact with other birds. To me it's not about getting a Tom in range it's about creating a scene that completely fools wild birds. Watching a hen or a Tom come in and fight or try to breed is one of the most Awesome things to see up close. You can kill a turkey a lot of ways. What you want out of a hunt should determine how you hunt and the equipment you use. This year I'm running an extreme Jake from Dakota and a pair of Avian X hens. Breeder/Feeder. My best bird ever was a triple beard 4 year old with 1 1/4 spurs he was only 24 lbs but was a warrior for sure. He'd been missed at least twice before. I killed him with a DSD hen where I knew he'd be. Never even called to him. Again you've gotta decide how you want to hunt and what your looking for. Safe hunting.