Best Deer Hunting Rifle?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by mudder, Aug 6, 2013.

1. mudder

mudder Senior Refuge Member

What is your opinion on the best deer hunting rifle for the money. I need to buy an extra gun for my 16 year old and he handles a 30-06 just fine.

I have a Rem 760 and love it, but have heard some mixed reviews on the 740 or 7400, which seem to be readily available used. It does not need to be 30-06 but I am a little lost on the other calibers.

Looking to spend $400 to maybe $1000 and would like a semi auto to lessen the kick for him.

We typically hunt in the north woods and rarely have a shot over 100 yards.

Thanks for any input.

2. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Savage 110/111/112/etc... Right out of the box one of the most accurate rifles out there. Do not buy the savage axis!!!

3. Sportdog 7

Sportdog 7 Senior Refuge Member

No doubt the Savage 110 is a tack driver, and very inexpensive to boot. not sure its still offered though. I won mine and sold it, it was chambered for 30-06 it sure was a decent shooter! Replaced it 12 yrs. ago with a Remington Model 7 in 308 another great shooter that's compact and lightweight. As a spare I also have a Rem. 700 in 30-06 with a synth. stock that will amaze you with its accuracy!

4. Boomerzuma

Boomerzuma Senior Refuge Member

Check out a Tikka. Pretty darn nice rifle for the money! There is certainly endless options in you price range.

5. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

If 'he handles a 30-06 just fine...", but you're looking for "a semi-auto to lessen the kick for him"... why not drop back to a .270 and widen your potential source of fine guns by adding the bolt-actions?

The .270 is an outstanding cartridge and is maybe 20%(?) less recoil than the 30-06. Another outstanding cartridge is the 7mm-08, which will do anything you want it to do in North America short of maybe taking a grizzly bear and has substantially less recoil than an '06. I've got them both, and the '06 never sees any action unless I have a visitor who needs a gun to shoot.

That being said, the Savage 111 is highly rated for out-of-the-box accuracy, the Remington Model 700 or Model 7 (compact 700 so-to-speak), or the Tikka in any caliber. I personally have the Model 7 in 7mm-08, and two Tikka's, and am happy with all of them. If I still had my Model 700 in .270 I'd also be happy with it.

You could also stick with the 30-06 and give him 'Reduced Recoil' loads like the ones Remington offers in their Core Lokt bullets.

So pick a rifle that fits him and he'll like and then just pick one of the three or four calibers for which you can get good ammo in your area (the 7mm-08 will be the most limited).

:tu

6. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

The Tikka is a great rifle, very accurate. I would get him a bolt. You have so many more options gun wise, and they are without problems mostly. If you really want less kick than the 06, why not go with the 25-06. Its a great caliber and can be gotten in most guns. The 25 shoots very flat and can be loaded up to 120 gr. The round is capable through elk but is a really sweet deer round and loaded down to 87gr it's an awesome coyote/varmint gun. The 25, you can pull the trigger, see the yote flop then feel the light recoil it's fast.

Doug

7. SteveH

SteveH Senior Refuge Member

A good portion of your decision should maybe be based on the availablity of certain caliber ammo. I like the .308 but it is almost impossible for find even a basic box of Rem Cor Lokts. 30-06 seems much more available, as does .270 and .243.

8. Hink

Hink Refuge Member

If your looking for a semi-auto a browning bar would be a good choice. Lots of calibers to choose from. As mentioned before .270 is flat shooting and hits hard.

9. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

In my middle years I went from a 30-06 to a 243 to a 357 magnum bolt rifle. Now I carry a 5.5 pound gun that doesn't recoil much and is pretty quiet. I think it was my midlife crisis. ;)

Ruger has a 44 mag bolt action - tack driver and good to 150 yards. I almost got one to go with my 357 mag.

You are shooting deer, not elephants and grizzlies. There are a ton of options but the most common ammo would be 30-06, 270, 308, 243

What about the cowboy actions? Levers are cool. .35 Rem, 30-30, and others

You can also step over into the Mini-30 with the 7.62x39 (?? I think that's what it is). That'll kill a deer.

OR you can look at the AR style guns - I'd go 308 in those. The 223 is a small bullet.

Take your son out looking with you, explain the options and see what he wants.

10. TIMBER RUNNER

TIMBER RUNNER Senior Refuge Member

I would suggest 7mm-08 caliber wise it mirrors the 308 but ammo iswas available all year when most others was not. I personally love lever action rifes