Best Dog Vest

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by WidgeonmanGH, Aug 2, 2017.

1. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Elite Refuge Member

Time to get them used to the dog vests before the season. I have two American Water Spaniels both are about 38lbs.

So what brand etc. of dog vest would you recommend?

2. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I think that is kind of like finding the Holy Grail....it may not exist.

I have a handful of drake, and avery vests,, as do most of my friends. They are probably a good value for the price that you pay, but i can't recall ever seeing one that did not have a busted zipper. Of course all of them were repaired with a short length of decoy line.

The first vest that I ever bought was probably also the best. It was made by Orvis 25 years ago. I still have it, but my dogs are 25 pounds smaller than the one I had back then.

3. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

All depends on how it fits your dog. Best to try on several and pick one, then get out a scissors to trim as needed. I have two boykins, one is short and stumpy, the other is tall and lean. Don't recall which wears what, but one wears an Avery and the other a Drake (I think). I had to cut both to fit better around the neck, shoulders and hips.

4. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Being able to stitch and glue helps......a lot. :h

WaterFoulHunter likes this.
  5. freezeland

freezeland New Member

Avery has a new one out with a chest protector. Looks nice, I haven't seen one in the flesh though. Their boater dog vest is nice with handles. Rig em right has a nice one if you do more upland. Cannot go wrong with Cabelas either. Their Velcro securing vice a zipper makes for a quick on and off. Make sure whatever you get can be tailored.

6. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for all the advise. Looks like lots of options.

7. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

They are cheap enough that you can get one in every color, and still not get hurt.

8. Scout_mn

Scout_mn Senior Refuge Member

I really like the rig em right vest. It has canvas on top and braided handle to really help get a hold of the vest in needed.

9. 2dogs1949

2dogs1949 Senior Refuge Member

I have a Cabelas neoprene blaze orange for my AWS when we hunt upland. He has an Avery with the handle for ducks.

10. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Refuge Member

The handles on my Avery (YLM, 82 lbs) have been great and "handy" for 7 years- though the zipper pull tab broke last year. My Cabelas vest (on my BLM, 55 lbs) features velcro and is a WHOLE lot easier to put on during the dark, cold mornings. I wish there was one with handles AND velcro. That's my .02 cents worth.