Best Dog Vest

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by WidgeonmanGH, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

5mm Avery with the handle. Like it so far, haven't broken the zipper yet. Hoping it fits my new dog.

2. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Elite Refuge Member

Headed to Cabela's this morning to try some on. Should be fun with the dogs.

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I've only tried Avery and Cabela's and favor the later's Velcro fastener and "Amor-Flex" chest protection, which doesn't look like much until you compare the unprotected top with the bottom that's taking the brunt of abuse after a few seasons.

WidgeonmanGH likes this.
  4. duck dawg

duck dawg Refuge Member

I've used the Avery and Mud River vest and have no complaints. You will most likely have to trim any of them to make it fit. I really like the Rig em right vest also. It is a very well made vest.

5. professor

professor Elite Refuge Member

I have 4 American Water Spaniels that range from 33-44 pounds. I have tried almost every vest over the past 20 years and I like the Cabela's best. The medium seems to fit them all with some slight modifications. I like the Cabela's because it does not have a zipper, but rather a wide Velcro closure which makes adjusting for different girths easier. The vest will require some cutting under the "arms" and around the male's privates. You may also have to cut some darts around the arms and neck for a custom fit. These "darts" can be repaired with Seal Cement which is available on line or at dive shops. Note that this is NOT Aqua-Seal. Good luck with your vests.