Best Dove Attractant

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by tdmallard, Aug 21, 2001.

1. tdmallard

tdmallard Guest

What do you think is the overall best dove attractant: Food (wheat, milo, sunflowers, millet, rice), pot ash, salt, or any other mineral? If doves have plenty of food (sunflowers, wheat, and millet) and water, and there was no weather (thunderstorms or cold weather), and no hunting pressure, what would make them leave a place?

2. oldsquaw

oldsquaw Elite Refuge Member

ive had good luck with sunflowers, buckwheat, and millet. I think using salt and stuff like that is just wrong and illegal! What would make them leave??? They my have sucked down all of the food. Who knows

3. tdmallard

tdmallard Guest

Oldsquaw,
    Your signature is a little illegal and wrong too, isn't it? Killing ducks before shooting time?

4. 10 point

10 point Senior Refuge Member

Here in Ohio there isn't that many sunflower fields so most of the doves hold in the wheat fields. I go every year to the dove opener on public land at the states sunflower fields. It's a little packed but I get there 3hrs before shooting time and I get a good spot. I also go out and scout and see where they are flying the ebst in the field. After opening day I then hit my private wheat fields.

5. waterfowler835

waterfowler835 Senior Refuge Member

OK, I'll chime this one in. Sunflower fields or wild clumps are good. This one is a little iffy, "wild weed" is one of the best things to hunt dove around I've seen. If you locate a small cluster of the stuff, camp out around it and the dove pour into it. This is the case before you "inhale" too. :D

6. HTDUCK

HTDUCK Elite Refuge Member

Well if it has been a typical Texas summer
    (hotter than !@ll and dry as a powderhouse)
    I'll stake out a water hole and set in the shade.Usually down here we hunt cut over maize (sorghum)fields or big patches of sunflowers.After they eat they always go to water.Find a pond that has a few bare trees
    around it for them to land in and it can be
    unbelievable shooting.

See ya,
    HTDuck

7. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

HTDUCK:

Parker is near Dallas right? Do y'all even break 100? I heard people from D/FS were soft and I guess its true :) I'll be in Austin opening day, 105 will most likely be the temp that day.

Up there we have lots of sunflowers. I'll spend some time in Luling and we have lots and lots of dove weed and partridge pea and millet there. And water, the tank is down but thank god for the well.

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: Drundel ]

8. HTDUCK

HTDUCK Elite Refuge Member

Hey Drundel........
    Yeah Parker is a small town outside of Plano.
    As far as me being soft......Dude I'm an auto mechanic.Try standing over a runnning car all day in 100 degree heat while your trying to figure out what's wrong with it.
    Remember the opener last year?I was hunting
    with my dad southwest of Waco_Opening day it
    was 109.Saturday it was 110.Sunday it was 112
    and Monday it cooled off to 109 again.
    It was so hot I took 2 shotguns cause after
    10-12 rounds the dang thing was too hot to touch.
    Wouldn't have missed it for the world!

Do you ever hunt doves during the second season,after Xmas?

See Ya
    HTDuck

9. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

I'll be up in Plano or Farmers Branch for a wedding in October.

I was joking but I believe that it gets hot. Try swinging a sledge hammer in the sun about 100 degree weather.

Yes sir I remember last year, it was only the second time in my life I got sick in the heat. It was so hot the sweat evaporated on my face leaving a messy salt deposit. I got my limit early but my buddy was missing and he gun was getting so hot I would load my gun give it to him and load his. He got hot and decided to quit before his limit.

I was in Europe last year during Winter season, but I made it the year before. I only got one bird that year. I have hunted a half dozen times over the years and have only had one season that I shot a lot of birds in the spring season.

The month of September is already booked up for every weekend, and I paid for my new 391 today, it should be here a week from today, god I can't wait!!!

For those of you who know sunflowers, I planted some around June 1st, and they are up and have heads, when should I cut them?

10. Delta G

Delta G Elite Refuge Member

I used to hunt doves in southern California. The best hunting, by far, is down near the Mexican border in the Imperial Valley. There are two things that attract doves--grain (it doesn't matter what kind) and water. If you can stand inbetween them, shooting will be fast and furious.