Best duck jacket?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by ALMODUX, Feb 14, 2018.

1. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

waterproof, quiet (as much as possible), durable, good features....what’s out there now? Newest drake stuff? Sitka? Columbia? I’ve had everything but Sitka at one time or another, in the past.

Mostly woods/timber/swamps/ponds. Occasional big water and miserable boat rides. Thinking of getting something new, if there’s truly waterproof and durable these days.

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Sitka. Spendy but worth it. Best I've ever owned.

3. WITX68

WITX68 New Member

I’m still using my Cabela’s jacket I bought 5 years ago... I’ll wear it until it’s tattered. I’m waiting for the new Sitka jackets to drop this summer. Can’t beat goretex in my opinion.

But I’ve never had complaints about Drake... they have some new jackets dropping this fall which are really tempting as well. Either way I’m getting one or the other this year.

4. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

If the Sitka wading jacket had a removable hood, it might be worth spending $ on. A hood is fishnipples, 90% of the time. Matter of fact, a fixed or non-storable hood is just in the way that whole time. That someone would make ANY hunting jacket with a fixed hood, and want $400 for it is moronic.

5. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I stole a Columbia jacket a few years back for $135. No liner (which I never use) but has the reflective insulation and shell feeder tubes on the front. Not sure if Columbia is even making them anymore?

Only complaint is that the normal hand pockets are a little tight

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Barbour. Mine was purchased in '85 and been in use ever since. Do plan to send it in for a refurb this summer. First time for that.

7. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I second on the Sitka stuff. I went with the layering route (vest, Duckoven and top it with a Cabelas Goretex shell when its really windy/snowing/raining). The Sitka stuff is warm without being constricting.

I've had too many problems with Drake stuff in the past to go back

8. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

Sitka for sure. I still have my columbia jacket and love it but the Sitka jacket is better in comfort, fit and function. I do miss the shell tubes on my columbia though

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Columbia has quit making the Wigeon II, last I checked.

ALMO,

I own a Wigeon liner in Delta Marsh I bought from a second-hand store, a Wigeon II liner and shell (with the silver liner) in MO Bottomlands I got off ALDucks with matching insulated bibs, and I just picked up an old Columbia Parka and liner in MO Original from a fella on the Fuge. I love Columbia jackets. I spent $30 on the Delta Marsh one, and $70 on the MO Original Parka. I wear whichever one most closely matches the terrain I think I'll be hunting that day. The Wigeon II does have smaller hand pockets on the liner and shell than the older ones. The old ones can fit a mallard in each front pocket easily. They are not "quiet" (as in, I would never use one for deer hunting). The Sitkas I have looked at seemed like a more quiet material. Columbias have removable hoods still, and the hood on the new ones fits me well. It has a built-in hat band inside that keeps the hood from moving much. Problem is, they come off easily due to it only being three buttons, and you never know it until it's lost. I have heard Drakes are notorious for leaking. Check out the Skysweeper series from UA also, if you can find one. They were discontinued as well, I think. I still kick myself for not buying the Skysweeper hoodie I saw in West Memphis one day on sale. It wasn't there when I drove back through.

10. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

To each their own, my hood is up 90% of the time, I love hoods.

callinfowl likes this.