Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

best first investment

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by pintail21, Mar 27, 2003.

1. pintail21

pintail21 Elite Refuge Member

OK, another stupid beginner ?
    What is the best investment a beginner can make(remember I'm a high school student so money is a precious commidity), would it be a fleshing wheel a video/book library or what?

2. Harliduck

Harliduck Moderator Moderator

Pintail,

I would definetly put the fleshing wheel on hold for now. A good book or video is a much better place to start. If anything the video would take some of the "mystery" out of the whole deal. I actually told a lady once when asked how to do it that you have to suck everything out with a straw! She believed me!

Fleshing wheels are definetly for the experienced, I would start with scissors to remove fat to start. Are you still coming to the seminar?

3. pintail21

pintail21 Elite Refuge Member

its a go so far:D :cool: , wouldn't be to bad of an idea to sticky the class info;) :D

4. PINSANDCURLS

PINSANDCURLS Guest

TRAINING AND EDUCATION ARE THE BEST BET. DON'T GET DISCOURAGED IF YOU MESS ONE UP BUT RATHER TRY AND LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES. MY DADDY ALWAYS TOLD ME THE ONLY MAN THAT NEVER MADE A MISTAKE WAS THE MAN THAT NEVER DID ANYTHING.

5. jusdukin

jusdukin Senior Refuge Member

Is there a specific book or video that you would recomend, Harliduck?
    Mike

6. Chuckcnctaxi

Chuckcnctaxi Senior Refuge Member

You can't go wrong with any of those.Try to find out if your local College offers classes .I took mine at Joliet Jr College (Joliet,IL)-it was an evening class 4 hrs /one night a week. Usually the classes were 6 weeks apiece. Gamehead,Fish,Mammal,and Birds were split up in that order .It was nice because every class was at the middle or end of a particular hunting/trapping/fishing season when specimens would be plentiful and within legal dates.I was asked to teach it when the instructor retired but I am awfully busy with a fulltime job plus my own taxidermy business.Maybe someday

7. Half-Breed

Half-Breed Elite Refuge Member

reference materials and good manuals like newmyers or savidies.

You can make your own fleshing wheel with any motor that will turn at least 1000rpms, mount it in the center on the back side of a 3x3(or whatever size you like) wooden box, buy an arbor and 6 inch fine or med. wire wheel at wal mart and your in business. I use an old a/c condenser fan motor that turns 1075 rpms.

Most of your other supplies can be bought at walmart, even some habitat materials.

I had a buddy that does formica do the inside of mine for clean up once in a great while.