Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Best Flyer Opinions

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by cootmeurer, Mar 1, 2017.

1. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

So here is the background - getting ready to purchase a half dozen flyers for a good friend overseas. He will be hunting pink foots and grey lags with these so I will be getting specks rather than snows - but that is just a color/print thing.

What I am seeking opinions on is what is the best flyer for terms of longevity and repairability?

Warranties and shipping back and forth across the Atlantic is pretty much a non-starter, so I need these to hold up to a three month season and last for several years if possible.

So - let me know your thoughts.

2. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

Ask me again at the end of March. I have 6 of each, sillosocks, Deadly's, and White rocks. Prices are similar.

cootmeurer likes this.
  3. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

This isn't for KJ is it?

4. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

If the pink foots and graylags are anything like specklebellies they "HATE" flapping decoys. Hunt snows up in Canada and if we want to get our dark geese taking down the flappers makes a huge difference. In My Humble Opinion

5. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

I'm do not like the deadlys. Silosocks are ok seem flimsy and haven't used white rocks

6. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

I have both the silo-sock fliers and feather flyers. On a rotary machine, I really think silo-socks makes the best flier. If you take care of them, you can definitely use them for several years. When they do break, it is usually the small fiberglass rod that runs through the wings and you can find those at just about any hobby store. IMO, Feather flyers work best on a pole. I have had mine for years and they are still kicking! Hope this helps

7. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Silo flyers are what we use, I left mine out all of duck season (60 Days) and all of snow season so far and they have held up great. We do take them down in 20+ mph wind. The few deadlies we have hold up as well but I do not think they look as good. The white rock flyer did not last the first few days last spring before it broke.

8. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

I could be mistaken but I believe Whiterock fixed the durability issues with the fliers? I wish they had a better video of em flapping. I've got a bunch of silosock flyers n they flap their *** off in a decent wind n look great. But storage for the Whiterocks are awesome as the silosocks are a pain to store

9. YanktonSquid

YanktonSquid Senior Refuge Member

Only issue I have with the white rocks are that they are really noisy in any wind over 15 mph. This will be my second season with them, going on number 4 with my silos.

10. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Silosocks are my favorite, white rock being 2nd and deadly being last. Deadlies don't give the motion I am looking for but plenty of people like them and kill birds over them. Best way to store the SS is to keep them assembled at all times other than the rod you stick in the ground. We typically don't run a lot of flyers but Sunday we ran 12 and the birds actually seemed to like them which was surprising being as normally we end up taking most all motion down within an hour of hunting.