Best fuel line bulbs etc?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Fowler267, May 12, 2018.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Fuel bulb failed to create suction last time I had the boat out. I pumped it about 100 times. Checked hose clamps etc and had a spare bulb with me. Swapped it out and still not working... Had to remove connection at the tank and stick the hose in the tank to get it to prime.

Tried to go fishing today and same issue. I removed assembly from the tank to make sure uptake hose and filter wee not clogged or faulty. Bought a new bulb and it seemed to work at the house... At the lake I had to crimp the fuel line between the bulb and the water filter.

I get the idea that these cheap bulbs are not cutting the flow off at the one way valve?

I checked the bulbs and connections with soapy water to check for leaks. Nothing showed up.

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

The only reliable ones I’ve found are Moeller low permeation bulb assemblies and Attwood low permeation bulbs. I always have a spare in the boat.

SKDuckhunt and Fowler267 like this.
  3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

If your boat has a battery get rid of the bulb and buy a electric fuel pump.
    Keep a spare in your boats tool box. :yes:tu

4. JR

JR Senior Refuge Member

I like the idea, but how does this work with a carb? Seems you would flood the unit if the pressure from the pump overcomes the float. Or is there relief with bypass.

5. callinfowl

I'm not a mechanic, so I don't have an answer for you. All I know is that is there are many thousands of mud motors that are carburated that run fuel pumps running around out there and millions of carburated engines that run electric fuel pumps without any problems. On our mud motor we added an electric fuel pump because the engine was dogging big time when we make a yearly trip up to Lower Klamath / Tule Lake which is at much higher elevations and the tiny carb on our mud motor handles it just fine.
    You want to find an electric fuel pump that runs as close to the stock fuel pump pressure as you can find.
    In our case it was a small elec. fuel pump from Napa auto parts, I can't remember what the pressure rating is. I found it on the mud motor talk dot com forums.

6. Waterfowler9

Waterfowler9 Refuge Member

I have a EFI mudmotor that I am thinking about adding a priming bulb, the only reason is i feel like it takes longer for the motor to start than it should. My fuel take is under the front deck so I believe it takes to long for that fuel pump to get suck fuel from the front of the boat. Has anyone done this? Also will the fuel pump make much of a noise like one in a vehicle?

7. callinfowl

Our non EFI prodrive fuel tank in under the front deck as well.
    If you can hear the fuel pump over a mud motor your hearing is 1000X better than mine.:l:l:l

8. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

An e-pump is just a Band-Aid covering the real problem which 90% of the time is an air leak or running 3/8 line.

My last hull had 16' of 5/16 fuel line from tank in the bow to bulb and another 4' to motor. The motor had all the goodies including a custom intake running an S&S super E with no fuel issues. The bulb was an Attwood.

9. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I prefer the simplicity and reliability of the usual manual bulbs. I had issues but was still able to go.

I picked up a factory bulb at a local dealer. Johnson, probably made by Moeler?

callinfowl likes this.
  10. BobGlover

BobGlover Senior Refuge Member

Best fuel line is automotive line from Napa, Autozone, etc. I always carry a spare bulb.

Fowler267 likes this.