best kind of call

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by huntgeeseya, Feb 16, 2004.

1. HORNBLOWER

HORNBLOWER Senior Refuge Member

Anybody who has hunted with an accomplished short reed
    caller has realized the decided advantage they have in a less than desirable location. These calls have changed my way of thinking completely. I used to not even dream of calling the
    traffic geese that were going from point A to point B. If flagging
    did not get the initial interest, we let them pass. I have not been
    blessed by the goose gods to have the X. At least, not often enough, but I've witnessed traffic geese come in to some very good calling with a short reed. I'm not disputing that flutes or any other calls are not good calls, just that I have not seen high flying
    traffic geese come in, when you are NOT on the X.
    This has given me a renewed and revitalized interest to improve
    my calling. Short reeds are not easy, in fact, if not used properly,
    are better not used. Unfortunately, I have discovered this firsthand, and it has been embarrassing, yet enlightening
    at the same time. I won't give up and put the short reeds
    away, I am just determined now to stick it out and make it happen. By the way, having someone to help you in person,
    seem to be the difference. The tapes only go so far.

2. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

After all this trash talking you guys are doing I broke out my Eastern Shoreman acrylic last night and I got one thing to say: Short Reed! After about 15 minutes my cheeks were sore! You must need lungs like Louis Armstrong to blow that thing all morning! If I wanted a cardiac work out I would go to the gym not to the blind!

3. GooseDan

GooseDan Senior Refuge Member

Colo- I never said flutes were good in comps. To tell you the truth I haven't picked up a flute in four years since I got good on the shortreed. I think people can kill birds with them and they can match a SR for meat calling. Flutes just don't call judges just geese. Are you calling in the comp this year?

Meat- The way you described blowning a flute is only one way to blow. I blow a flute just like a SR and can flat out smoke on my big river. I even broke it out last night to see if I still got it and by god I do. Will I ever out my SR down?? Probably not but I know I can traffic geese with a Big River and kill just as many geese with a SR. Are you calling in the comp this year?

GD

Big Rivers have a place in my heart and WILL kill geese.

4. meatcaller

meatcaller Senior Refuge Member

I'm gunna enter. Do good is another story. But id love to see you get a big river smoking!!! Challenge is still on. Jon

Hornblower,
    Who were you with that could traffic geese?:nutz

5. GooseDan

I never back down from a comp? I am always on for a good *** kickin. But to get a shot at my title you have to compete against my little man first. And I know Forrest will down right smoke you on any call you pick. Duck, goose (flute or Sr) once you pass him then i will let you have a shot at the title.

HEHEHE

GD

6. GooseDan

Hornblower- What is considered an accomplished SR caller?
    I wonder if i fit or not?

GD

7. HORNBLOWER

HORNBLOWER Senior Refuge Member

Meatcaller, I hunted with this guy named Jon, who is also a member of Charlie's 10 ft rule club. The guy can bring down
    traffic geese.I hope he gives lessons.;)

Goose Dan, you asked
    Ultimately, I believe it is reaching our personal goals we all have
    set for ourselves, whether that be for hunting, competion, or
    just bragging rights.

I am not an accomplished SR caller, that can be verified "unfortunately" by two of the guys on this forum!

I also believe it is the difference between playing the notes
    and playing the song. I'm playing the notes on the SR, but it
    doesn't sound quite like the song yet.

Finally, it's bringing in the traffic geese, SR or not.
    Especially when your not on the X.:D

8. HuntAllDay

HuntAllDay Senior Refuge Member

That's why you couldnt get fast on a BR! I blow mine just like I blow my short reed. NO they are not as fast but you can make as much noise as you need to on a br to kill all the birds you want.

We will have to hunt together next year and I will show you how we traffic birds with the big rivers! They work man I'm tellin you. My best friends and guys that I hunt with (at their spots or at mine) blow the big rivers and they killed 641 canadas this year just at their spots this season! I dont know if many other guys kill that many birds here in Colorado that still work, go to school, or actually have something to do besides hunting. They hunt just like everyone else does in Colorado, running traffic 95 percent of the time and some lucky days they are on the X. As far as a meat call goes a big river (in the hands of a guy who knows how to blow one) is every bit as deadly as a short reed!

9. meatcaller

meatcaller Senior Refuge Member

I just can't see the effect the BR could have to compare to a SR. Really you boys need to enlighten me, or I need to put you in your place. Jon

10. GooseDan

MEat-

Put me in my place?? Please do, you think you can? Then after I rail on you with my BR we could break out the SR and see if I am accomplished as your supporters call it. If you blow a BR like a short reed you can get the same range just a different version of the SR.

Just admittit you can traffic geese with a BR and you can kill just as many as a SR user. You must just have been a terrible flute blower. heheh

GD