Best Lens for Canon Digital EOS

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Over The Decoys, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

Looking for opinions here... (With Regards to a Canon Digital EOS) What do you think is the "best" overall lens for hunting/wildlife photography with the restriction of being under $1000.00. Meaning if you could only have one what would it be and why?

You might be asking yourself... You can buy a lot of decoys and hunting gear for $1000.00. And you would be 100% right. But with a wife and 2 kids its much easier to bring home a new lens that "we can use for family outings" then it is a new shotgun and a couple dozen FB decoys... ;) ...

Thanks in advance for any posts.

Cheers!

2. Susquehanna Gauge

Susquehanna Gauge Elite Refuge Member

The 100-400 would be my choice but its over 1K.. you might want to look into the 400 f5.6 .. not sure of the price on it but that lens is real sharp and a great flight shot lens..

3. Pelican Guide

Pelican Guide Elite Refuge Member

Another vote for the 100-400, but over the budget. Roomate is loooking at getting a 18-200 Tamron. Runs about $400 I think it woudl be a great all around lens. I think most of the L series lens are expensive. check out www.fredmiranda.com They have a reveiws on tons of equipment. It has been a great help for me.

4. Pelican Guide

Pelican Guide Elite Refuge Member

5. Susquehanna Gauge

Susquehanna Gauge Elite Refuge Member

I love the 70-200 IS but it's not near long enough for a wildlife lens... If you put a 2x converter on it you will have the length but the price will be right with the 100-400 and that lens by itself has better image quality than the 70-200 with the converter on it... Sigma makes a 80-400 for around 850 or so.. might be worth looking into...

link to the sigma..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=389504&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

right now canon does have a few rebates on lenses.. 50 off on the 70-200 , 300 f4 and 400 5.6 the 300 f4 is another nice lens..

This link may be your best bang for the buck.. image stabilization and fixed f4

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=39&sort=7&cat=2&page=2

6. Over The Decoys

Over The Decoys Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for all the info... i think I have plenty to start with. :tu

7. fonesplicr

fonesplicr Senior Refuge Member

OTD, check out the Sigma 50-500 for just under 1K. Sigma Sample Pics.

I have seen great shots with this lens and it gives you more flexability than a prime. You can also pick up a used Canon 70-200 non IS for under 1K if you keep your eyes open on the photo forums(Fred Miranda, Photography on the Net, etc....)

Personally, I'd stay away from Tamron, Phoenix, Tokina and Vivitar for lenses.

P.S. I'd put my vote in for the Canon 100-400L if your price range was higher, but given your conditions those are my recommendations.

8. Dextermutt

Dextermutt Senior Refuge Member

If I was trying to do the same I would consider the 70-200 F4 L and maybe the 1.4x converter.

9. Pitboss

Pitboss Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

agree Scott.... i never use my 70-200 2.8 anymore, even with the 1.4 extender :(

10. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

A 200mmL F/2.8 and a 2x TC will run you under $1,000 and will give you a long 400mm f/5.6 and a very fast 200mm at f/2.8 for low light.

Counting the rebate available from Canon you'll have enough money left over for a 50mm f/1.8 that will take great pictures of the dead ducks laying on the bow of the boat or hunting partners shooting in very low light.

Note: The 2x TC does not work with the 50mm f/1.8.