Best option for a Moose

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by smashdn, Feb 6, 2014.

1. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

I need a moose.

What is the best way to go about it? Put in for the Maine tag lottery? Go to Alaska? Other state? Russia?

Help me out here. Looking at liklihood of getting a tag and at price, price figuring in distance from KY and what you got to do get to them.

2. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

I've been putting in for a draw tag for moose in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado and Utah for 20 years hoping to draw someday! My fallback if I don't draw in the next 2 yrs is to plan an Alaskan hunt the first year I'm retired for Moose/Dall Sheep. I'll keep putting in for those states after cuz after all it's a diff subspecies. Another option is the Yukon.

Doug

3. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

What kind of moose do you want, and how bad (aka how much are you willing to pay?) Do you want the meat, or just want your picture behind a bull moose?

Alaska moose is one of the most expensive hunts out there now. Even more than many Brown/Grizzly bear hunts and even some sheep and goat hunts. They are huge for sure, but it will be extremely expensive for you to get any meat back, let alone all of it.

If its Shiras moose you're after, nothing to do but stand in line, or buy a governor's tag, which ironically, wouldn't cost you much more than an Alaska trip.

Canadian moose though can be had at a much more reasonable price, you can drive there, get your meat back and in some cases come home with a very nice trophy too. Newfoundland is the latest craze, and success seems very high on those hunts. Other than that, I don't know much. There are some Saskatchewan/Manitoba hunts out there too, and Alberta and even British Columbia seem to have some larger bulls without the huge pricetag that an Alaska Yukon hunt will run you.

Just some food for thought.

4. DaveT

DaveT Senior Refuge Member

Check out Moose Creek outfitters. They are in Alberta and do a very good job. They have a website but do not remember what it is. if you google them you will find it.

5. maxx

maxx Elite Refuge Member

New Hampshire is another viable option. They have a really high success rate. I have been putting in for 3 or 4 years now.

I know of a place in Ontario that you can get a bull tag, a cow tag and a calf tag for $5,000.00. I don't think there racks are huge up there though.

6. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Rack size is pretty low on the list. Want the meat and hide. With an extra three days I can braintan it on site.

7. jamesd1187

jamesd1187 New Member

I would like to know the name of this place. If only to avoid it. That seems like it would violate Ontario's game laws.
    As well, while Ontario and many other parts of Canada don't produce the same size racks as Alaska. There are still moose capable of making any hunter grin ear to ear in every province.

8. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

Alaskan moose hunt. It can be a very expensive proposition, or a relatively inexpensive one. It all depends on your expectations. If you want a very high percentage shot at getting a 60" bull.....yep, that can be spendy. Especially for a guy from down south, with a probable lack of resources (modes of transportation like 4 wheelers, boats etc...)

Moose is probably one of the most...."cost effective" hunts that I do. Relatively inexpensive, but a huge return on meat. Its sort of the king of meat hunts for Alaskans.

You can do a DIY type hunt, have reasonable expectations at filling a tag (most success rates for moose run in the 20% range)

Guided hunts are up there, but the expectation is pretty high as far as filling a tag.

We do our moose hunt using horses. Been pretty good to us. There are a few guys that offer pack in hunts using horses. Not a bad way to go. They normally go into controlled use areas (non motorized) which generally has good moose, less hunting pressure. Ive run into guys walking in to these areas, as far as 10-12 miles in. I think guys that far in on foot generally have no clue what they are getting into. Moose are some really big critters. I'd never consider packing moose over miles on my back. Crazy.

9. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

last years moose. This was in a CUA, and came right to the horses. He thought they were girls I guess. Can send you some ideas if your interested in a DYI hunt.

[​IMG][/URL]

10. Ontario Gunner

Ontario Gunner Elite Refuge Member

Rack size isn't important.. Hands down newfoundland