Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Best option for a Moose

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by smashdn, Feb 6, 2014.

1. stuckduck

stuckduck Senior Refuge Member

The West's moose population is really in the hurts. Here in Utah the animals have developed some heart infections and has wiped out most of the mature animals. The draw system is very plugged up and.. Being a resident it's going to take A LONG time to draw. Almost impossible for non residents. Wyoming isn't much better as the wolves have wiped out the herds. Your best bet for a moose in the lower 48 is Idaho. They have a favorable draw system for non residents... Spend the money if you got it and head to Alaska.... Or the Yukon.

2. tgs

tgs Senior Refuge Member

Maine has some great hunting, if you can get drawn. The state also sets aside some permits each year that go to the highest bidders, these are sealed bids. They will also start this fall to give some permits to lodges, they can sell as they wish. Lastly, the state has an agricultural hunt in Sept, only guides and landowners of the area hunted may apply, the guides cannot be the shooter so those will go to clients.

Here is the moose I shot last sept in zone 2.

49" and 907lbs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

cool pics. nice its right on a road. How big do moose run in Maine, on average?

4. moose66

moose66 Refuge Member

Want to most definately kill a nice one-Newfoundland.
    Maine is top notch also IF you can get a tag. Ontario or Quebec if you dont care how big. They are there just not as plentifull.The hardest part is choosing an outfitter if you want to go that direction. We killed spike bulls in Canada 800-900lbs(thats a small moose). The hunt was cheap. Outfitter put his work in the first time, then got sucked as years went on. Another in group went to Newfoundland with known reputible outfitter killed a nice one and paid alot, but got a nice moose. After years of spending money on cheaper and do it yourself hunts I have come to the conclusion, save your pennies for a little longer, and pay for that outfitter who is highly recommended and more money. Thats my opinion anyway.

5. tgs

tgs Senior Refuge Member

Moose in Maine can get up to 1100lbs, but that's big. I would say most moose that have a 48"-60" rack will weigh between 750 and 1050 depending on when shot in accordance to the rut. Like anywhere, there are smaller 400lb animals shot too. Most people (IMO) shoot the first one they see so that they can be done, but those willing to hold out have a pretty good chance at a good animal.

Yes, tons of older, secondary logging roads in Maine, grunted him right to the middle of the tote road.

6. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

I got my moose in Ontario a number of years ago. I haven't looked into it since then but at the time tag availability was easy and prices weren't too bad. 2 of us went and we both got bulls on a fly in trip. Neither was very large bulls but a moose was our mission.

Good luck

7. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

That would be great but unless I can rent what i would need to get me back in the bush when I get there I will probably have to do a guide or outfitter.

8. TonyMo

TonyMo Elite Refuge Member

How about Quebec? About an 18hr drive from Kentucky.
    $900/person: Cabin with kitchen/hot shower, boat & motor for some fishing.

Call Ralph Pearson. Great guy!
    http://www.chaletsdiane.com/

9. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Does that price include all necessary tags and licenses for moose?

10. TonyMo

TonyMo Elite Refuge Member

Tag prices change but if memory serves me, for non Quebec residents, tags/licences are $380 per hunter. You need two tags for one moose. This year 2014 is a bulls and calves season. Next year is bulls, cows and calves. Unless you are bow hunting, in which you can hunt bulls, cows and calves each year.

But don't take my word for it, give Ralph a call and he would be happy to answer all your questions.