Best Pheasant Hunting ?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by DuckShot, Dec 9, 2014.

1. DuckShot

DuckShot New Member

I have a Brittney and shes hitting 6 years old. So I feel I owe it to her to take her to the best Pheasant hunting in the US, At least once in her life. So please any ideas and info kansas,South dakota .......Thanks, Oh and any guides in the area.

2. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

I won't get into where is the best, cause it always depends on spring weather and cover. KS, SD, ND, MT, WY, NE, IA are all good places. But I would suggest that you just talk to the Fish & Game folks for information, and then freelance. You'll do fine. May take your dog a day to figure out the wild birds, but she'll come around.

Good Luck
    Doug

3. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

take her to SD, even in its worst production years it is better and more predictable than the other states. Public land pheasants get a lot of pressure all over the pheasant range states in my experience.

4. DuckShot

DuckShot New Member

OK, I guess I would pick to go to SD just because its the mecca of pheasant hunting. Now this would be my first time going, any suggestions on how to start my research, or where to go.

5. pfpres

pfpres Senior Refuge Member

Go to the state game/fish website. They will mail you a upland hunting package.

6. Hoagie

Hoagie Senior Refuge Member

7. Fowl Hunter

Fowl Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I'm a wild pheasant huntin' fool. Always freelance open to the public ground or get permission, never pay. Been to S.D. 4 times and Kansas twice.

South Dakota you need to go before Nov. 15th - Went once at Thanksgiving, just too cold and windy, it was hard to hunt some days. Awesome hunting all four times though. All public ground hunted.

Kansas was even better - however I went when the bird numbers were high in '08 and '09- their season ends Jan 31st - I hunted the last 2 weeks of January each time and it really couldn't have been better for the end of the season, lots of birds, no other hunters. Shot a few bobwhites too. Hunted open to the public ground the first couple of days I was there and killed a few. I was scouting another area and saw a rancher feeding cows - talked to him and he give me permission to hunt about 1000 acres. He said that there were lots of hunters in Nov. and Dec., much fewer in January.

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Hawaii?

• 4 varities of pheasant?
    • 3 varieties of Francolin
    • 3 varieties of quail.
    • One of the best chuckar populations in the world (according to rumour)?
    • Sandgrouse
    • 3 varieties of dove

You could kill 30 birds in a day (without even including dove) without getting a limit of anything? Hawaii tops my list for an upland extravaganza? According to the couple people I know that hunted it, the pheasant hunting is good, but the overall upland hunting is fabulous (on good years)?

Unfortunately, you can only hunt on weekends? I am thinking extended family vacation in the future.

(Interestingly, one of my friends that went, rented a house inland near where he was hunting. They paid far less renting the house, than they would have staying in the cheapest hotel near the beach).

9. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

A good friend of mine used to live in Hawaii. He said the pheasant, chukar, francolin, dove, sandgrouse, goat and pig hunting was absolutely outstanding. But 90% was on private ground and it was hard to get permission. He said the public ground had good bird numbers, but you pheasant hunt in chukar/goat country, as in steeper then a cows face.

10. Cooper

Cooper Senior Refuge Member

I would love to do a Hawaiian hunt / family vacation but I have a real problem (personal) with flying my dogs. The one and only time I did it I had to force the dog back into the crate to go home and he hated his crate from that day until he passed. I know that a lot of people do it all the time but it still bothers me. And I guess that I am spoiled, I could hunt a life time within a 100 miles of home.

Good luck on the pheasants!

Cooper