Best Pheasant Hunting ?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by DuckShot, Dec 9, 2014.

1. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

I can empathise with this, and fortunately i was forewarned of this fact by a lady who works for dogtainers who have moved my dogs backwards and forwards between England and New Zealand many many times .
    We were advised to house the dogs in the crates for a few weeks prior to the trip and get them comfortable with the crates, apparently they start to feel the crates are home and are their property and they far less stressed inside the crates in transportation due to this. I have to say handing your dogs over at the airport is actually very emotional at first, but i will say after a wile become old hat for all concerned, but i do remember the first time and watching them being wheeled away:eek::( I will admit it i had eyes full of tears that first time. Get them used to the crate acept it as their crate and they are fine. :)

2. wing seeker

wing seeker Senior Refuge Member

3. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

And we are bringing up a thread from 2014 why?

4. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

don't enjoy the game don't play

5. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

And that game would be what....answering questions a year late.

6. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

The question is timeless. You are the "moderator" if you don't want responses take the thread down.

7. UplandHntr

UplandHntr Elite Refuge Member

every state now has extensive info on what to hunt and where. All public lands are well advertised. The best route is to sit down at your computer for weeks on end and put together a game plan. Dont expect to get a daily limit on your first trip or everyday thereafter. Dont buy into the promo materials you see on TV or online. Its a LOT of work to limit on wild birds on public land, unless you live there and have an inside track.

8. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

South Dakota has a few birds this year - whether or not it is as good as predicted is hard to say. It probably depends on where in the state you end up hunting and whether or not you have access to some private land hunting. However, you can get a lot of quality hunting on public land if you have a good set of legs and a good dog or two!! Most of the time if you are hunting alone (which I most often do because I enjoy the work with the dogs and I need the exercise also even though some would say it is time to start slowing up a little), you will have an opportunity to shoot some birds including sharp tail grouse and possibly some Hungarian partridge along with a rooster or two. You have to shoot better than I do if you plan on shooting a limit of birds every day but that's why they call it hunting!! LL

9. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

You forgot Prairie Chickens! LOL Good post Lars and to add to that, get away from the metro areas since they get hammered day in and day out!!!