Best shell deals in the last year or 2

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by shell waster, Sep 4, 2017.

1. spg

spg Senior Refuge Member

The stores around me hardly carry much of a selection of steel. Wally World has Sportsman shells for $24 a box. And the green Remmys for $32.
    Only other store that carries steel is even higher in price and they only carry 3 1/2 shells. I'll buy a case from Rogers and reload the rest .

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Speed Shocks on sale at Rogers, less than $100 per flat

3. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

Are these the same as whats known as "Speed Shok" ?
    I've heard numerous guys mention these "blue box's" and I assume they have a following but I cant bring myself to shoot Fed's due to them being so dirty, particularly with "blow back" powder residue....maybe its just me or the other, older box's that were blue and grey.

I've purchased 12ga Kent shells from Cabela's the last couple years around this time of year. Free shipping and their sale price comes to about $11 per box (after I pay tax due to living in a State with a Cabela's in it :rolleyes: ).

"Rogers" is another place I've used for Fiocchi shells. Their prices, free shipping and customer service is top notch.

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Yes, the blue box is speed shock. I refuse to shoot that garbage but some like it, my go to load are the Xperts even of I have to pay more. I was just listing what was available.

Il. MudDuk likes this.
  5. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

I get good patterns from speedshok, 3" 9/8 oz #2. Not overly dirty. Patterns are 99.9% of all shell importance... dirty vs clean is 0.1%, unless you are a maid or such. Shot is round, payloads are as advertised, and chrono speeds are in line with claims. These are all things not true for many shells, and not to be taken for granted.

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

FIFY

I don't know how people can even try to say that speed shocks are not the dirtiest shell out there. I've has them turn an auto )that will shoot a case or more of experts without cleaning) into a single shot with as few as 17 rounds and averaged 22 rounds before the single shot effect took place. What good are good patterns, round shot, payloads and velocities if they create enough grime in a gun to turn it to a single shot or less?

7. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

While it takes my auto a few boxes to get dirty with speed shoks, I agree with the above. There are 10-12 loads from various brands that can be had at any given time for around $100/case, so why waste time dealing with crud flying back at your eyes and a gun that dirties up faster than it should.

8. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Fed ultrashock (red box) at Rogers. Don't look back.

Buckewe, Seaark18 and Duck Wrangler like this.
  9. NEAduck

NEAduck Refuge Member

Store in my area going out of business.

Kent 3" $60 a case
    Kent 3 1/2 $75 a case

They sold out of 800 cases in 4 hours.

10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

How come the stores carrying waterfowl loads in my area never go out of business........??? :cry

For what it's worth; last year I caught a Roger's sale on my favorite loading, but it was the Fed blue box, not Sportsman. Not being able to pass up the really good price, I bought two cases. I shot them for the last half of the duck season.
    Never noticed them being particularly dirty. My auto never jammed from unburned powder, never found any more powder in the receiver than with Remington Nitro Steel or Sportsman. They killed ducks just like anything else kills ducks.
    I see lots of forum posts that claim Federals are "too dirty" , but my personal experience does not support it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Rice Hunter likes this.