Best shell deals in the last year or 2

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by shell waster, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 50% of the guys who say that have never cycled a federal load through their gun. Funny how the internet works.

2. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

IMG_0138.JPG
    Oh the irony.....

And yes they suck.

To the OP--best deal was Black Friday a couple years ago, $100 of a case of clean burning nitro steel..net $7.99 a box.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  3. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

I shot several cases of blue box through a 20ga affinity over a few seasons. The only issue I had was a case with poorly slit wads, which caused an erratic POI. Yea there was some blowback every once in a while. And yes there was some unburnt powder flakes in the barrel. But it was no worse than any other loads I've used.

The worst dirty shell for me has been Rio Blue Steel. 1/2 a box and my autos are single shots. I love them though, so I shoot them through pumps with excellent results.

Tuleman likes this.
  4. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Yep...! They were $169.99 at rogers with free shipping before the rebate. I still have the 2 unopened cases, #2's & #3's. Needed them like a hole in the head but couldn't pass them up.

5. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

A couple years back I made my best score at a Big 5 store. I stopped in for a lunch break and just out of curiosity I went by the ammo to price steel shot. I found a box that was marked $2.99. I confirmed the price with management, they told me the item had been marked wrong but they were obligated to honor the price. "How many do you want?" they asked. My immediate response was how many do you have?! LOL... I left with every box they had. :dv The funny thing was I felt like I was stealing it. I drove off with receipt in hand as fast as I could, laughing to myself the whole way. I check their pricing now like an auditor every time I go in. :)

6. Rice Hunter

There it is again. I shot a case of nitro steel last year. They were as "dirty" as the 1.5 cases of federals I shot. Both killed lots of ducks.

I don't have any interest in protecting federal, there are other good, cheap factory loads out there, just don't understand all the hate.

Tuleman likes this.
  7. Seaark18

Seaark18 Senior Refuge Member

I think that Federal changes the powder that they use in the Speed Shoks from time to time- meaning going with the lowest cost. This would explain the variability in "dirtiness" of the shells. I know I've personally shot Speed Shoks that were the dirtiest shells I've ever used, and I've also shot Speed Shoks that seemed fine and similar to most other steel loads out there. Also explains why other folks have had such widely varying experiences with them. If I only used a pump or double gun, they would probably be all I used- but I try to avoid them in my autos.

Dave in AZ likes this.
  8. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

I may have been the first one to comment on the dirtiness of the Fed shells in this thread so I'll apologize if this went off track ( like all other threads on this Forum :l ).
    I've shot Kents for a number of years when / after the price of Winchesters went up. Kents can be somewhat "dirty" but nothing like Federals, in my opinion.

Like I posted earlier, maybe its just me. As I remember, it was the box's marked something like "Classic Magnums". They were in a blue & grey box. Maybe the new "Shok" shells are better / different but I have noticed "blow back" with their light dove loads as well.

The residue left in the gun seemed a bit worse, but inevitably, and what happens 99% of the time, is I get "blow back" in my eyes after firing a round or two, burning the ever loving sheeet out of my eyes. I've been shooting / hunting 35 years and thats been my experience with Federal shells. No other brand has done this, as I recall. I was just making a comment, not "hating".

This is America. You guys shoot what you want....its your money and guns.

Billy Bob likes this.
  9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

It comes from them making guns so dirty that they malfunctioned causing me to not limit. Simple as that. I wouldn't shoot speed shocks if they were given to me for free. They hit hard and pattern well but it's just not worth the frustration and ruined hunts.

10. Rice Hunter

Amen.

I'm ordering another case of Federal just for Billy Bob. He's really angry at those shells. If he's got 1/2 the anger for the ducks, he must be a slayer.